7 - Face first

7. Seth

"Wish me luck, alright?" I whisper to Poppy and kiss her cheek.

"Luck!" She gives me a toothy grin and throws her chubby arms around my neck, clinging to me. "You're the very bestest brother in the whole world, Seff."

"The best, huh?" I raise an eyebrow and she nods her head vigorously which makes my heart swell a little. "Well, my most beautiful little sister... I really have to go now. Knock on wood for me and give mommy and daddy a hug from me when... if they get home, ok?"

"Ok," she chirps and hugs herself to me one last time before I exit the house. I stop for a second, knowing what's coming.

"SEFF!" Poppy calls and pulls open the heavy front door. "Don't forget the pop-corn, please!"

Outside Brice and Cole are waiting for me, already in their uniforms. Brice hollers and honks the horn of his truck as I jog towards them. As soon as I'm in the car, he turns up the radio and starts the engine. My heart beats fast with excitement and anxiety. This should just be a friendly game but there is so much more at stake.

My pride.

"Dude, what the fuck?! Why aren't you dressed yet?" Cole calls over the loud music that is blaring through the car.

"Forgot my uniform in my locker."

"Sure. Forgot," put his fingers up to mime quotation marks and I just roll my eyes. "Or maybe you want to listen in on the losing strategy?"

That is exactly what I am planning on doing. The locker that conveniently contains my soccer uniform is sitiated right next to the guest's changing rooms. As a team captain I have to insure that we are thoroughly prepared for the games so I'm planning on fetching my uniform from said locker and maybe listen to the rivals game plan.

"Don't get caught," Brice warns as he pulls into the school's parking lot.

"I never do."

As soon as Brice cuts the engine, I jump out of the car, twisting my head from side to side to look around. I recognize some of my team mate's cars but really am only looking for one. My eyes fall upon the rather dull, worn-down car that I've been looking for.

Arya is currently being pulled away by some girls while Miller and his friends are watching from a distance.

"What fags," Cole comments, appearing beside me with a smug look on his face.

"Especially that emo dude," Brice adds, pointing at one of them. "Heard that the only reason he doesn't talk is that he swallowed too much-"

"Damn Brice, that's disgusting!" I interject loudly before he manages to finish his sentence.

"He never speaks, though! It's weird. You know, I saw a documentary about serial killers on television and he fits the description. It's always the quiet types." He laughs but no matter how outrageous the speculations, I can't seem to find any interest in Miller's friends. The only thing I care about is beating his ass in the game. 

We'll see who'll be the last one standing.

"Guys, I'm gonna go get my stuff. Tell coach I'll be right with you. Don't wait up!"

They holler after me but I ignore them and jog towards my destination. The field is still empty and merely a hand full of people (mostly friends and family of players) are on the bleachers. Perfect. Nobody will see me. Nobody will catch me.

I've been doing this for as long as I can remember. Even as a little kid, I used to hang back and spy on the other team to figure out what they'd pull on us during the game.