Chapter 19

A/N: In case you didn't check my CatMint5's Sunday News – I had some computer problems last week. I'm now working on a borrowed laptop though, so I'll keep writing even though my own laptop is for repairs. Also, this is the first of two WATA uploads this week and TGJWTHF will also have be updated.

PS: THANK YOU to everyone who came up with questions for the boys! I'm still accepting questions, so ask away!

Now back to the Rhys &Riley and thanks for being patient with me

*****

Riley opened the apartment door and we walked right into a kitchen/living room combo. The moment we stepped in, my nostrils flared. There was so much of Riley's scent in here!

I could sniff that even in my human form.

It was only natural; after all, he spent most of his time here. But was this place safe?

I turned around and examined the door.

It wasn't anything massive. In fact, one push and a shifter could easily break in.

And the hinges?

Not screechy... At all.

Usually, that was a good thing, but not in this case. Riley lived alone; I'd rather them screech as Banshees so my mate would hear if someone wanted to sneak in. He could then lock himself in his bedroom – it had to be behind one of the two doors to the side – and call me or the police.

I should figure out a way to make the hinges noisy, I thought. Let's hope that at least his window is more secure.

"Erm, Rhys... What are you doing?" My mate asked, following me to my new location of interest.

"I want to see how easy it is to access your apartment." I opened the window and looked outside. "The fire escape is an apartment away... Not helpful if a fire breaks out, but good as they won't be able to climb in from here." I mumbled to myself and turned towards Riley... who looked absolutely horrified.

It took me a moment to realize what was causing him to slowly back towards the hallway – me. In my attempt to see whether his place was secure, I'd freaked the life out of him.

"Oh, Hell! I'm sorry, Riley." I moved as far away from him as I could to give him his space. "It was an instinct," I tried to explain, ignoring the pain in my back as I pressed it firmly against the wall. "With all that's happened lately, I wanted to check how secure your apartment was. Not that an alarm system and locked doors helped those poor people," I couldn't help but add. Scaring my mate even further was the second last thing I wanted to do right now, the first being lulling him into a false sense of security. There was danger out there; I didn't want Riley to jump at every little sound or sudden movement, but he had to be vigilant of his surroundings.

My heart pained as couldn't protect him... At least not yet. If only he'd move in with me... He'd still have to go to work, but at least I'd be with him at night.

And he'd have the protection of the pack.

Riley stopped distancing himself from me. When guilt showed up on his beautiful face, I had to remind myself that I should give him time to relax and thus I must stay put instead of running towards him to embrace him.

"Do you want juice?" He offered to cut the silence. "It's the only drink I have in here."

"I don't suppose it's tart cherry juice; that's my favorite." I decided to share this little bit about my culinary preferences and he smiled. I did the same when he replied: