Extra #2

Moonlight bathed the walls in silver as I stepped out of a portal into the quaint room

Time had ravished her. I saw no essence of her old feisty nature. I saw no agent of steel and finesse and professionalism. I saw nothing of the woman I once knew so well. All I saw was a tired soul, lost in memories of a life long passed.

Peggy slept peacefully as I looked on. I'd put off coming to visit her for months in fear of her reaction. I was worried that her terror and horror would push her into having a heart attack. For that reason, I kept my distance. I hadn't told Steve about my standoffish nature towards our good friend, but I had a feeling that he knew without me saying a thing.

Now that Steve and I were more than we were, I felt like that I needed to pay her a visit; for both our sakes. I felt like I needed her consent, her blessing, to go further. After all, Steve had had feelings for her before we became what we were now.

I watched Peggy's eyes flutter open. Chocolate brown eyes flicked to me, and she gently gasped.

"...Andi?" she rasped.

I smiled gently, coupled with a sad frown. "Hello, Peggy."

She slowly sat up with painful effort and leaned against the backboard of her bed. "Y-You disappeared. I never saw you again. What happened? A-And how are you here?"

I pulled the chair nearby to the side of her bed and took a seat. "I...I have a confession to make."

A weathered hand reached up to stroke my cheek. She smiled warmly. "You haven't aged a day."

I took her hand in mine. "Peggy, you've seen a lot of strange things in your life. You saw Steve transform from a frail man he was to a Super Soldier and hero. You've dealt with the strange while working as an SSR agent and then a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent." I bit my lip before continuing. "What if I told you that I'm...well, strange."

"You're a time traveller."

I took a sharp intake of breath in shock. How did she know? I shook my head in confusion. "How—"

"It's obvious, Andi," Peggy replied, patting my hand affectionately. "How else would you remain so young? And the way you clutched that watch of yours and refused Howard's continuous offers for a wristwatch, it wasn't hard to connect the dots." Her smile melted away. "But that's not why you are here."

I took a shaky breath. "Peggy. Steve and I..."

I had no idea how I was going to go about asking for Peggy's blessing to take what I had with the love of her life further than friendship. I felt like I was intruding. I felt like I was betraying my friend. I couldn't help but feel...terrible.

"Andi," Peggy interrupted, holding up a weathered hand, "I know. I've seen the way he looks at you. You are all he talks about when he visits me." Brown eyes examined our hands. "I moved on a long time ago. I married a man I loved dearly. I had a family I could call my own. And when my love died, I continued to live a happy life as a mother and a grandmother."

Even after her two closest friends abandoned her, Peggy still lived a happy and full life, and I respected her greatly for that. From the look she gave me, she understood my predicament. How? Did she read the information from Project Hourglass before I took it off S.H.I.E.L.D.'s table? Was she really that perceptive?

"You wear the look I've always seen you wear, my dear," Peggy observed. "A look of being lost in the darkness of yourself." She gripped my hand, placing her other on top. "You have been alone for too long, Andi. I can see it in your eyes. Steve, even with me at his side, has always felt like he was too. He has that same look. I've seen it when he visits me here. You need him as much as he needs you." She smiled warmly. "Go to him."

I beamed warmly. "Thank you, Peggy."

"May your time be forever rewarding, Andromeda. Know your value, for it is a high one."

I stepped away. I knew what Peggy's fate was. It was an inevitable one. Her time was coming to an end. Fate was coming to claim her, to cut her string. I wanted her to see something beautiful for the last time.

I turned to her. "Your time is coming to an end, Margaret Carter." I held out my hand and smiled. "Are you ready?"

❈Author's Note: Hey, there! So this was an emotional chapter

Author's Note: Hey, there! So this was an emotional chapter. What did you think? Let me know below.

If you like this chapter, please consider giving it a quick vote! Thanks for reading!