Chapter Thirty | No Use In Crying

Thirty:

I didn't know it was possible to be this stir-crazy.

In the past five days I'd cleaned my room, trashed it, cleaned it again, and blown through an entire season of The Vampire Diaries.

That last part I blamed on Lauren. Her obsession with the show was part of what made me finally give in and watch it.

I guess that was one good thing; my parents, never having grounded me before, didn't seem to realize they should take away my phone or TV.

Now, it was approaching 6:00 on New Year's Eve and I was in the process of having my mind blown.

My mouth hung slightly open as I watched the end credits of the season one finale appear. Damon kissed Elena, but Elena was really Katherine? "Oh my god," I whispered.

I reached for the remote to my Apple TV. I was about to start season two, but was interrupted by a short knock at my bedroom door.

"Come in," I called halfheartedly, knowing my mom would come in whether I granted her permission or not.

I was surprised when I saw it was my dad who crossed over the threshold. My back immediately straightened from where I had been lying on my mound of pillows. I hadn't talked to or even seen him since he'd grounded me; every time I'd gone downstairs to eat he was nowhere to be found.

I felt nervous as he padded across the carpet, coming to sit on the end of my bed. It was silent as we looked at each other but, this time, I could tell he wasn't mad.

"Tired of being in your room yet?"

His voice held a teasing tone to it that immediately made me feel relieved. I smiled in embarrassment, ducking my head. "Yeah, I am."

"Okay, well, I think I've punished you enough. Consider your first grounding experience over."

"Thanks..." I said with a short laugh. "And I'm sorry, dad."

He nodded. "I know, and you know I love you no matter what, even if you go a little crazy on me."

I grinned, ignoring the residual ache that had yet to leave my chest since my birthday.

My dad raised an eyebrow. "So, are you going to ever tell me what's got you so miserable, or is that just for your mom's ears?"

He took my silence as an answer. "Ahh, oh well. I fly back out tonight and didn't want us to leave on bad terms."

I frowned. "Already?"

His face mirrored mine in unhappiness. "I know, but I only got two weeks for Christmas off."

I sighed, flopping back onto my pillows. "Okay."

He leaned forward, placing a hand on my pajama-clad knee. "We didn't get to see each other much at all, which is why I was thinking we could go out to dinner together before I leave, as a family."

I smiled at his offer, eager to leave my room. "Sure, dad. I'll start getting ready."

"Great," he grinned, pushing up from my bed and rising to his feet. He quickly exited my room letting the door swing shut behind him.

I turned off my TV and stood up. I guess the Vampire Diaries would just have to wait. There was another knock at my door just as I opened the door to my closet. "What's up?" I hollered towards the door, figuring my dad had forgot to mention something.

"What's up, is that we're done with you blowing us off."

I stiffened at the sound of Lauren's voice. I slowly closed my closet door and retreated towards the bed, stifling a groan when I saw Lauren, Carly and Lily were all crowding my doorway. "I-I texted you guys that I've been grounded," I said semi-nervously, my fingers nervously twisting through my hair.