Bad Memories at Nannas

When I was 6 years old, my parents went away for their anniversary and my little brother and myself stayed at my Nana's house. My grandfather had passed away a few years before so Nana enjoyed the company.

Now my brother and myself are among the youngest of Nana's grandchildren. The oldest grandchild at the time was 30 and the youngest 5 weeks. My point is Josh (my brother) and I grew up hearing heaps of spooky stories about a particular painting at Nana's.

This painting wasn't hideously ugly... But it wasn't pretty either. It was of an old Aboriginal elder, from the shoulders up, he was know as "Big nose man" (kind of self explanatory). My cousins all used to say that the eyes followed you when you were in the room.

Now I don't remember Nana and Poppa's old house but apparently the Big nose man was hung in Poppa's study, and Blue (their Dog) refused to go anywhere near that room.

So in Nana's new house, in her sewing room hangs the ugly painting of the Big nose man... My brother and I stayed in the guest room (opposite the Sewing room) for the week. On the 3rd night at Nana's, we went and took Blue for a walk. We had gotten to the driveway when I realized that I had forgotten a hat. Nana told me to quickly run and grab one of hers in the sewing room as I would "fart-arse around looking for mine" as she would call it.

So I ran back inside and went straight into the sewing room, not a problem (without thinking more like it) and then it suddenly hit me... Behind me is the Big nose man painting... And within seconds of me thinking that the door slammed shut... I spun around to the door and saw the ankle shadow on the other side. I calmed down then as it must have been Josh or Nana, right?

I turned towards the window (which overlooks the driveway) and saw Nana and Josh with Blue waiting for me at the gate. My stomach dropped and I screamed bloody murder! The room's temperature dropped in a big way, then the Big nose man painting shook violently on the wall... So hard it fell off onto the floor! I burst into tears calling for my Mum and Dad. The next thing I know Nana is at the door calling my name. She pushed the door open and picked me up. I have never been so scared in my life.

She has since burned the painting, apparently there weren't any weird screams coming from it as it burned, just a funny smell and odd colored flames. Nana said it was from the paint and not to read into it...

Freaky?