Queenbees and Wannabees

Drawing of Veronica that my friend Alyssa did^^. Thanks so much!!!!

Chapter 6

***

Queenbees and Wannabees

As I sat down in the back of Spanish class, I looked over at the door expecting to see the teacher. Veronica apparently followed my gaze and said, "She's usually late."

I turned away from the door and smiled at Veronica. "More time to talk, then." Most of the class were talking to their friends or looking at their phone.

"So what do you think of Elvira so far?" asked Veronica sweetly.

"I haven't been here too long, but it is definitely an improvement over the other schools I've been to. The students here are more of my crowd, from what I can tell," I said, putting an unnecessary amount of emphasis on the words 'my crowd'.

There. If that didn't make me seem like a spoiled rich kid, I don't know what will.

Veronica's smile widened. "I think you'll fit in well here. It takes most students a while to really understand how things work around here. New students—freshman, mostly—show up in tacky uniforms."

"I was wondering about that, actually. Why don't you wear uniforms?" I knew the answer, of course, but asking her a question that only someone from Elvira could know would give her the satisfaction of explaining it to me.

"Not a lot of people know this," she lowered her voice conspiratorily, "but we did have uniforms here. But six years ago, the daughter of Roland Fraiser came here and since her dad is so famous for his fashion she demanded that she get to wear whatever she wanted. At first, he told her no. I know, crazy right?"

"Yeah, you can't just tell Roland Fraiser's daughter no!" I said. In truth, I have absolutely no clue who that is. I know the gist of the story, though.

"Right?! Well, they did. So then her dad gave the school a good sum of money to get rid of the uniforms and they did. Must've been a lot of money," she said.

I opened my mouth to respond, but the teacher walked into the room. Most student's didn't even acknowledge she was there but continued talking or staring at their phones.

Mrs. Cwakenbush walked up to the front of the class. She was fairly young, probably in her mid-thirties. She had light brown hair that was pulled back in a low ponytail. "Alright class, quiet down. Silencio, por favor!"

I cringed. Her accent wasn't too good. If I had to guess, she probably spent three months max in a Spanish-speaking country. And she didn't start learning Spanish until she was a freshman in high school.

Most of the class stopped talking, but the kids on their phones merely looked up. She continued, "Sorry I'm late, there was a lot of traffic—"

She's lying, I thought. Whatever reason she was late, it wasn't because of traffic. It was just a little white lie, but nevertheless, I made a mental note of this.

"—and then the lady at Timmy's daycare was sick so I had to call for a nanny to watch him." Now she was telling the truth. She probably just added the traffic part so it would seem like she had a lot going on. She continued, "How did the homework go last night? Did everyone do the reading?" There was a murmur of assent. In my opinion, this was a very dumb question to ask a class. Of course, everyone is going to say they did it, what does she expect?