sixteen

jack's pov

for the next few days, i've been piling up work and such to try and forget about octavia. momentarily, of course, until i figure out another way to get to her stubborn self, but it's useless. that crazy female is always on my mind.

she's been ignoring my calls, texts, and emails and she has also been rejecting the gifts and flowers i send her almost everyday. a woman should be grateful that i'm even trying again. trying this hard.

my eyes divert to the black saint laurent box that was sent back to me because octavia didn't want it. i let out a loud sigh and let my head fall into my hands. i can't think of anything else to prove how much i want to.

divorcing her was the most regretful thing i've ever done in my entire life. i hurt her and i'll never forgive myself for that.

"knock, knock." a soft voice says, making my head lift in curiosity.

my shoulders sag in disappointment when i see who it is, "hello, madison. what are you doing here?"

her small smile falters and falls, "you haven't called me in weeks."

"i've been busy." i mutter as she stares intently at me.

she begins to walk further into my office and closer to my desk. i place my hand on the saint laurent box to push it away. her eyes instantly move toward it and she gasps.

"is that for me?" madison questions, snatching the box.

my eyebrows pull together and i react immediately, "actually-"

"oh, baby!" she beams, unboxing the contents. "was this a surprise? i'm sorry, i'm just excited."

i instantly jump up from my seat and walk around my desk to grab the box. there's a giant smile on her face that i have to take away.

my eyes widen and i try to stop her, "that's not for you." i tell her quite loudly.

she looks at me with her eyebrows knitted together in confusion and she frowns. she glances down at the box and then up to me again.

"what?" she asks.

i clear my throat, "that box is not for you, madison."

"then who is it for?" her eyebrows raise, wanting to know so badly that she doesn't hide the fury beginning to show in her eyes.

"someone special." i mumble, scratching the back of my neck because of how awkward this situation is.

she scoffs, "excuse me?"

"look, that gift is just not for you, okay?" i say calmly, retrieving it from her tight grip.

madison purses her lips in sadness, anger, and confusion. i can't give her anymore gifts. especially because the last time i did, the love of my life was in the exact same place as i was.

"who is it for, jack?" she repeats, more sterner to try and seem intimidating.

funny.

"i said it's for someone special." i clarify once more.

she lifts her chin up high and crosses her arms in disapproval. i set the box down and then turn back to face her, standing up taller.

she hums, looking at me puzzled, "you're cheating on me?"

"what? no, i'm not-"

"she's probably just a mistress." she shrugs.

i clench my jaw together, "watch your mouth." i growl.