XI.

The two Jedi walked towards the location found in Watto's records, where the person who bought Shmi years ago resided. It was located on the other side of Mos Eisley, like Watto originally said, and was pretty much in an isolated area so it took them a bit of time locating the residence.

Artoo followed closely behind the two teenagers as they approached the Lars homestead, letting out a series of beeps and whistles as he did so. The brunette peered over her shoulder to look at the R2 unit, flashing him an apologetic smile as she raised her finger to point towards their parked spacecraft. "Stay with the ship, Artoo."

Artoo let out a few whistles before turning back, rolling himself towards the spacecraft as the two Jedi continued their short walk to Shmi's new home. As they drew near, Layna's dark eyes caught the dirty-looking protocol droid right outside the homestead and she felt a wave of familiarity wash over her. "Oh, um, hello. How might I be of service?" the rusty protocol droid spoke as soon as he noticed them. Layna found herself smiling as she took in the sight of Anakin's old droid, now fully functional and pretty much operational ever since he left all those years ago. "I am C-"

"Threepio?" the blonde asked, rather unsurely as his bright eyes scanned the protocol droid he built for his mother when he was a child. Layna's smile grew into a grin when they were now face to face with Threepio, a chuckle escaping her lips as her chocolate colored eyes examined him closely.

"Oh um," the droid replied in confusion, but after a few seconds, it seemed as if something clicked inside his mind and he suddenly cried out in joy, "The maker! Oh, Master Ani, I knew you would return! I knew it!"

Threepio turned to the brunette girl standing beside his maker, his hands shooting up when he finally noticed who the beautiful girl was. "And Miss Layna! Oh my."

"Hello Threepio, it's so nice to see you after so many years," she bowed to him slightly, the grin on her tanned face still present as she kept her dark gaze onto the protocol droid. "Bless my circuits, I'm so pleased to see you both!"

Anakin stepped forward once he remembered the reason why he came to the Lars homestead in the first place, his dark brows furrowing as he cleared his throat. "I've come to see my mother."

Threepio recoiled, surprise lacing his voice as he turned towards the house a ways away. "Oh, um, I think perhaps we better go indoors. Come with me," the protocol droid began to make his way over to the Lars residence, leading the way as the two teenagers followed after him.

Layna stayed silent when she felt the anxiety building inside of Anakin this time, as the only people who would know what happened to Shmi was her new family. Anakin knew that he would learn the truth and maybe even find out her whereabouts if he were to talk to Lars, as he knew that he might be able to save her from her pain before it consumed her entirely.

"Master Owen!" Threepio called out once the threesome managed to reach the Lars residence. Layna pursed her lips when she caught sight of the brunette man accompanied by a smaller woman with hair a shade of blonde. The three of them descended the staircase as Threepio continued to speak with every step they took, "Might I present two most important visitors."

Threepio took a step to the side, in order to present his creator to the people who now owned him. Layna stepped forward as well, but stayed behind Anakin, knowing that she would have time to introduce herself to the man later on. Anakin came first. "I'm Anakin Skywalker," her best friend stepped forward, his piercing blue eyes meeting the brunette's equally piercing blue ones.

"I'm Owen Lars," the man, who Layna now knew was named Owen, nodded at the man standing before him. Owen then turned to the blonde woman who walked up to the three of them. "Uh, this is my girlfriend, Beru."