Chapter 22- Hello

When I open my eyes, I'm no longer in the cave. I'm alone, on a vast plane of white, that stretches out into infinity before me. My mind is blurred, and it's hard to focus. And then, amidst the hazy blankness, I feel them.

They come like sharp arrows, bombarding my mind like bullets fired from a gun. I stagger, put my hands to my head.

"Nice to meet you. My name's Vikk."

"I'm Lachlan. Do you live here?"

"Yeah. I Built this place. Well, not the lagoon."

'Wow! Oh, sweet. What do you call this place, then?"

"Uh. Vikk towers? Hehe, not arrogant at all."

Lachlan? Is that you? Voices fill my mind, and I struggle to place them.

When did Lachlan and I have that conversation?

The next one is has a touch of urgency about it. I feel my heartbeat speed up, as I hear the voices again.

Oh my god! Oh my god, thank you, Lachlan. How did you do that?"

"It- It was nothing, really."

"You saved my life! That's not exactly nothing."

"Or is it?"

"Oi, you jag!"

I close my eyes, and lift my hand up to where my heart is. Just like when we sat together at the clock tower, and he did the same for me.

"Can I kiss you?"

"What?"

"Can I kiss you?"

"Lachlan, I, uh- how did you- oh!"

"..."

"You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that."

"well. I think I might."

This isn't season 3. I know that much. It-it has to be season one or two.

The thought is daunting.

This is how we met. This is how it happened. The first time.

"Who are you?"

"I could say the same to you!"

"I live here!"

"This is your house? It's incredible!"

"wow- er, thanks."

"Vikk towers? Is that what you named this place?"

"Um. Yeah. That's my name."

Again? We're meeting again?

Of course. Season 2.

"You know, Lachlan, we probably shouldn't be doing this."

"Who cares? It's not like our relationship affects them."

"... You're right."

"I love you."

"I love you."

My heart flutters in my chest as I stand there, floating in nothingness.

We've always loved eachother.

Suddenly, my mind flashes, and I'm not alone, any more. I'm kneeled on the floor in a stone room, with chests lined up on one wall, and then more cave extending further along. And Lachlan is there.

He's hugging me, holding me tight to his chest. Tears are streaming down his face, and he's whispering my name, and stroking my cheek.

"No, Vikk. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't get to you in time."

I feel myself speak. My voice is thin, and painful.

"I'ts not your f-fault. I love you, Lachy."

My body jolts, and I cough, and gasp.

"Vikk!"

I was poisoned. That's why I died. This is a memory.

And then the world lights up around us, in shiny pink and blue and silver, and Lachlan is still holding me, but we're on the white plane again and-

I remember. The memories come like a flood, breaking down barriers in my mind that I never knew I had. They come so quickly, settle in one by one.

Mitch, chopping down a tree.

Rob, planting flowers.

Tyler, feeding chickens.

Choco, hugging Kenny.

The salty lagoon.

Vikk towers.

Spawn, one and two.

And Lachlan. Every memory of Lachlan is there, highlighted in my mind. They sparkle more than every other one.

He's the connection. Him and I, we've made it every time.

We have to get through this. Now that I remember everything, it's more vital than ever that we can get out of this alive. Because now, with all the gems destroyed, there's no turning back.

No restarts.

No respawns.

And then my eyes fly open, and I'm back in the cave.