Chapter 8

Stepping out of the SUV felt surreal, I couldn't believe I was back to the place that caused so many sleepless nights. I sniffed the air, Alaricas' scent wasn't here anymore. My stomach flipped at the thought of him being gone forever.

I ran my hand through my hair, I can't feel completely guilty until I know for sure he was cursed. I thought back to the night I rejected him, he was acting different. I would usually get an uneasy feeling around him, even when he was being kind, but not that night.

I was drawn to him, not like anything before. The mate-bond was no longer blocked, I could feel all his emotions. It was overwhelming, but now it broke my heart a little more.

"Hey, you okay?"

I sighed and faced my uncle, "Yeah, just...this feels weird."

"I know, but as soon as the pack is strong again and we find Alaricas, we can leave." He assured me.

I only smiled, if Alaricas was truly cursed then there's a slight possibility that I won't want to leave. Deep down I silently hoped that we could be the couple we were supposed to be. I wanted to love him, I still do, but it's going to take a while for that to happen.

I cared for him, maybe, but not love. My wolf was oddly quiet as I stepped into the packhouse, I sighed as I studied it. It looked so gloomy, there wasn't anyone to be seen.

"The pack is always out now, searching for him." Eduardus sounded.

I turned around, "He's seriously missing."

He nodded, "Yeah, he is."

I followed him to the alpha hall where I stayed in a guest bedroom, when we passed Alaricas' my chest ached. That guilt slowly started to wrap around me again as I made my way into my room.

After I was settled in I walked back out and started to explore the packhouse. I tested my memory, finding some kind of amusement. When I came across the dungeon I slowly opened the door.

The faint scent of Alaricas lingered in the air, but it was barely noticeable. I went to walk down when someone's voice stopped me.

"You're back?"

I spun around to see the beta, Jefferson, staring at me. I swallowed, feeling slightly uncomfortable. He has always been a strange guy.

I nodded slowly, "Yes."

"Why?"

I was stunned by how harsh his voice was, I took a slight step back.

"To help you guys find Alaricas."

He grunted in reply before roughly shoving me out of the way. He started walking down the stairs before stopping.

"I wouldn't come down here, I torture...uh...rogues down here. If you want to keep a sane mind, stay away from here." He growled out.

"But I thought Alaricas didn't allow the torturing of rogues?" I asked.

He glared at me, "He's not exactly here to enforce that rule, now is he?"

I jumped when he slammed the door shut, I stood there for a few moments. He seriously has some issues.