seventeen

octavia's pov

"stop stressing. everyone's having a good time." i tell braxton as he wraps an arm casually around my waist, glancing around the rented spacious ballroom.

the outcome of tonight is amazing. all of the decorations are on point and so many people showed up. makes me feel successful and accomplished.

"i've been talking to people all night." he sighs. "i just need a short break to talk to my girl." he murmurs, pressing a kiss into my hair.

i smile, holding onto his silver tie to straighten it. he leans down and puckers his lips, as if asking for a kiss and that's what he receives. well, more of a peck because i don't want to show any pda in front of my acquaintances.

"we haven't gotten any pictures yet and i want a picture with you in that dress." he cheekily smirks, eyeing my body.

"we can take one later. go and keep your guests company, but don't stress! everything is under control." i assure him and he nods his head.

"alright. i love you. see you in a bit." he says before walking away to talk to someone just a few feet away.

"octavia!" a shrieking voice calls out and i turn to face the source right away.

talk about perfect timing and not leaving me looking like a loner at my own boyfriends party.

"clara." i approach her with a smile. "hi."

"hello, it's packed in here and super hot." she complains, fanning herself with her hands.

"where's lucas?" i ask her.

she shrugs, "he said he went to look for braxton, but anyway, guess who i saw while coming in."

"who?" i question, furrowing my eyebrows.

"jack."

her reply makes my eyebrows perk up in curiosity and my heart starts beating faster. i still haven't told braxton about my encounters with jack and i couldn't or else he'd be super mad or sad. and this gala would've been cancelled and ruined.

"really? who was he with?" i inquire, trying to play it off coolly.

"that blonde boy from the bar who asked if we were strippers." she answers.

"what?" i gasp and she nods vigorously.

why the hell would sam wilkinson be here? i told jack not to bring a plus one. maybe he thought that i meant just not a girl, but i meant no one at all.

"i'll go welcome him."

"but i thought you hated him?" clara asks me.

"i'm only being polite." i flash her a smile and she narrows her eyes, pressing her lips together in a disapproving line. "i'll find you in a bit."

"okay." she slowly says. "i'm going to get a glass of champagne."

i give her a thumbs up before practically speed walking, looking around the many well dressed people in search for my ex husband. i excuse myself in between people until i see some relatively averaged height men.

i lift my dress off the floor a bit, approaching them. a scowl on my face and sam notices me first, smiling at my facial expression and drinking what's in his glass.

"what the hell are you doing here?" i snap at sam.

"hi, baby." jack butts in and i glare at him too.

sam looks at jack questionably, "baby?"

jack nods and mouths, "we're fucking."

i smack his abdomen in protest, "no, we're not fucking." i clarify.