04

Charlie's only been at university for a week but already he feels like Finn and he have exchanged more words than they did when Finn used to be friends with Matthew. Because this time Finn is making a conscious effort to seek Charlie out, he invites Charlie to sit with his friends and him, seems to be constantly offering Charlie tours of the campus (apparently the first one wasn't comprehensive enough) and inviting him for coffee when he's free.

It makes avoiding Finn rather difficult, means Charlie can't avoid his feelings with ease. But Charlie can't say he particularly minds it, in fact he constantly finds himself checking his phone, hoping that there's a text from Finn inviting him somewhere.

That was what happened last night. Apparently Finn and his friends have a tradition of spending Thursday evenings in the library. Someone brings food, someone brings caffeine and then they all do work.

It's possibly the most productive Charlie has been since he arrived.

Finn's sat opposite Charlie, a pile of books stacked alongside him, glasses sliding down his nose as he types away furiously on his laptop.

Finn looks up when he feels Charlie's gaze on him. For once Charlie doesn't blush.

"You okay?" Charlie mouths, not wanting to disturb the rest of the group.

"Tired," Finn says.

"Sorry for bothering you," Charlie whispers, "you look like you've got a lot to get through."

"It's fine, I like you bothering me. And this is pretty normal, one piece of advice Martin, never underestimate the workload of a medicine degree."

"Noted," Charlie replies.

The pair smile then fall into silence once again.

Charlie focuses on the text in front of him once again, forces himself to look past the words on the paper, to find the deeper meaning. Makes notes on paper, crosses and highlights and underlines.

"I need more coffee," Eliza says, interrupting Charlie's thought process, "anyone fancy coming with me."

Charlie's reached the end of the page, his legs are stiff and his eyes are beginning to drop shut. If there are two things he needs right now it's a walk and caffeine.

"I will."

Eliza nods to show that she's heard him and the two of them pull on their jackets, stepping out of the library. It's only a short walk to the coffee shop but the September air is biting, Charlie subconsciously tugs his coat tighter and shivers slightly.

"I needed a break," Charlie says.

He hadn't thought about how awkward the walk might be. He might be hanging out with Finn and his friends now but he still has no idea how any of them feel towards him, if they all secretly hate him. And yes he's spent time with them but Finn's always been there too, bringing Charlie into the conversation, now Charlie has to survive on his own.

"Same," Eliza replies with a light laugh, "I can only think about amino acids for so long before my brain begins to shut down."

Charlie smiles.

"Yeah I know what you mean," Charlie says, then backtracks slightly, "I mean not because of amino acids, but I know the whole brain shut down thing."

"I guessed that was what you meant."

There's a few beats of silence, Charlie gets the idea that if he speaks he'll be interrupting Eliza even though she's saying nothing.

"So do you like Finn?"