2

Adelaide woke up the next morning, her back aching slightly from spending the night on the couch. Magnus was already up and awake deciding on what to wear to Pandemonium that night. Adelaide knew Magnus wouldn't let even the circle stop him being at the centre of any party, particularly one happening in his own club.

'Good morning sunshine!' Magnus called out as Adelaide pulled herself into a sitting position on the couch.

'You aren't seriously considering going to this rave are you?' Adelaide questioned him even though she already knew the answer.

'Of course I am, it's my club. I wouldn't miss it for the world.'

'Magnus, it's dangerous. Valentine's after warlocks and that includes you.'

Magnus laughed loudly. 'Don't worry your pretty little head Addy, all will be fine.' 

Despite Magnus' words, Adelaide couldn't help but worry about his safety. In the last year he'd gone from someone she paid to help her to someone she trusted and finally, to her best friend. Shadowhunters didn't associate themselves with downworlders as a general rule, however Adelaide had to remind herself that she wasn't technically a shadowhunter anymore. Not that that would have stopped her friendship with Magnus, she cared for him far too much to even considering cutting him out of her life.

Adelaide remembered the night she'd fled the only home she'd even truly known, and found herself on Magnus' doorstep.

It was raining.

Her fingers trembled from the cold as she made her way across town, keeping as hidden as possible. It wasn't far to go now but the warmth had fled her body hours ago. The vampires she had paid for information were long gone, leaving her to dwell in her own sorrow.

Finally, after what seemed like forever she found the small shopfront she was looking for. Concentrating hard she forced herself to see past the glamour placed over the building, viewing the structure underneath.

Her hands shook from cold as she raised her fist to the door and knocked. After waiting a few moments she knocked again, in the same pattern the vampire had told her to.

'I though I told you vampires not to- oh. Who are you?' The man in front of her gazed at her in confusion.

'My name is Adelaide. I think I need your help.'

Adelaide had paid for his help handsomely in the beginning, but as her friendship with the warlock grew the payments became less and less. These days, Adelaide ran errands for Magnus when he needed her to and she happily obliged.

'What are you thinking about?'

Magnus' words pulled her from her thoughts and she shook her head.

'Nothing important.'

Magnus sighed. 'You've been doing that a lot lately you know, zoning out, getting lost in thought.'

'I've had a lot on my mind.'

'You miss them.'

Magnus' words weren't a question but Adelaide shook her head anyway, choosing not to speak. Magnus had a way of drawing the truth from her mind without meaning to.

'If you're going to this party, then so am I.' Adelaide finally spoke.

Magnus whirled around looking at the girl, shock plastered across his face.

'Absolutely not.'

Adelaide sighed in exasperation. 'Either its so dangerous I can't go, which means it is also dangerous for you, or its safe enough that we can both go. Which one is it Magnus?'

Magnus' lips tightened into a thin line.

'Fine. Looks like neither of us are going.'

Adelaide's mouth dropped in shock. She hadn't expected him to agree with her and it threw her whole plan off.

'Magnus!'

'Adelaide.' He mimicked.

Adelaide threw her hands into the air in exasperation much to Magnus' amusement and stalked towards her bedroom.

'I'm going to train and then shower.'

She could feel Magnus smirking at her in victory as she left the room.

*****

Magnus watched Adelaide as she entered the living area of his home hours later, her hair freshly washed and different clothes on.

'What are you doing?' Adelaide questioned as she watched Magnus mixing and pouring a colourful looking liquid into two glasses.

'Well, considering the both of us are missing the biggest party of the year I thought I could bring the party to us.' He grinned at Adelaide over the glass he passed her.

Adelaide, admittedly, felt more than a little guilty for making Magnus miss something he was looking forward to. However she wasn't sorry that he was out of the way of any danger that she couldn't protect him from. Adelaide accepted the glass, the sweet smell assaulting her senses. Magnus raised his own glass.

'Here's to a danger free night.'

Adelaide laughed as she sipped her drink, swallowing the sweet liquid. Her eyes met Magnus' before trailing down to the hand that held his untouched drink. Alarm bells sounded in Adelaide's head as she backed away from the counter, placing her own drink down.

'What did you do?' Adelaide whispered.

Magnus watched the potion take effect, guilt settling heavily in his stomach.

'Magnus what did you do!' Adelaide's words were starting to slur together and her body felt sluggish and tired.

'I can't have you following me Adelaide. It's for your own good.'

Adelaide's eyes began to close as she tried desperately to keep them open.

'Magnus please.' Adelaide swayed on her feet and fell.

Magnus reached out and caught her before she hit the ground, touching her face gently as he carried her to her bed. He placed a kiss against her forehead as he left the room.

'Sweet dreams sweetheart.'

*****

'Look out!'

Magnus watched in awe as an arrow zoomed past him and hit its mark, burying itself into the circle member meant to capture him. Magnus' eyes were drawn to the tall, dark and handsome shadowhunter who breezed past him checking that his arrow had done it's job.

'Who are you?' He asked himself quietly.

Isabelle threw a smirk at him, having heard what he had said. Magnus glanced at her slightly, his eyes seeking out the parabatai rune on her arm. He could not look at Isabelle Lightwood without feeling a strange sense of guilt and responsibility for the pain he had caused her in effectively severing her bond with a certain shadowhunter friend of his.

Magnus turned to the portal and started to make his way forward while the Shadowhunters were distracted.

'Magnus wait! – You're my only hope.'

Magnus looked at the red head whose features were so similar to someone else he knew. Magnus sympathised with Clary Fairchild, he understood she wanted her mother back but he truthfully didn't know how to help her without revealing everything her mother had hidden to her.

'Valentine found us. I warned your mother this might happen.'

And with that, Magnus disappeared.