Chapter 27

A/N: I know this has taken a while to come, but you didn't reach the early update goal and I've been really busy these past few weeks. Thanks for being patient, though! Oh, and please read the bottom author's note because I will be asking you guys an important question.

**Picture: Front of Stephanie's house**

***For an early update: 35 votes and 45 comments***

Stephanie's POV

There's a ringing in my ears that seems to go on continuously with no sign of ending. It's like everything has stopped existing and it's just me, the loud rhythm of my heart resonating in my ears, and the panic embedded deep in the violet eyes I stare into.

"What?" I ask weakly. Collin hugs me from behind in a silent show of support.

"This afternoon your dad took Carrie and Stacy out to eat with the intention of coming to the fair afterwards in time to hear you sing. When Carrie and Stacy went to the bathroom and didn't come out for a while, though, your dad began to get worried and he went to check on them. He found their purses outside the door and a note tucked into one of them that said: they're mine now, and no court can take them away again." James tells us, running his hand through his hair tiredly. My eyes widen.

"Randy," I whisper, wishing I was wrong but knowing with a chilling certainty that I'm right. James nods sadly.

"Yes, unfortunately Carrie's ex has them. Your dad is currently at your house with as many police officers as he could get and on the phone with the FBI to get some agents down here." For the first time since he got here, he smiles. "Guess it pays off to be such a high-class prosecutor. He has connections everywhere. "

My lips twitch to smile, but almost immediately turn back down. I can't smile in a world where Carrie and Stacy are in the hands of such a monster. And just when things seem to get brighter and better, too.

James tells us to follow his car to my house, and we pile into our respective rides. During the ride home, there's an eerie type of silence. The one that gives you goosebumps and makes you believe everything you watch on Criminal Minds is true. Collin reaches out and grasps my hand with one of his, squeezing it gently to bring some comfort as he drives. But all I can do is watch the scenery on the way to the mini mansion I used to call home, and pray that things will turn out okay.

The driveway appears in front of us after a while, and the long line of police cars waiting at the end of it casts an ominous glow over us. When we step out of the car and begin walking towards the front door, I notice that every single light in the house is on for the first time in years. I step into the house and I'm almost trampled by a passing police officer with a full drink carrier in his hands. He smiles at Collin, James, and I, and leads us to the living room where there's a flurry of activity.

Papers are flying everywhere, police are arguing on words written on a white board, and in the center of it all is my dad yelling into a phone with men in suits around him. I gape at the scene in front of me, completely gobsmacked and a little in shock, until I hear my name being called from behind me. Upon turning, I see a concerned Matt walking over and he envelopes me into a hug once he's reached me.

"Hey girl," he says once he's released me. "How are you holding up?" I sigh and sink into the couch with him on one side and Collin on the other.

"I don't know. There's a myriad of emotions in me, and I'm not really sure which is dominant."

"That's alright; you don't need to have all the answers right now. You do, however, need to relax and eat something before you pass out. Let the professionals take care of this on their end. They'll tell you if anything important comes up."