A Month To Live (22)

I hummed a tune as I slung my bag over my shoulder and stuck the half eaten slice of toast in my mouth.

Bradley beeped the horn again and I scowled. He definitely did that to piss me off. Seriously, why couldn't he just knock on my door like a normal person?

I locked the door behind me and pulled the toast out  of my mouth as I thundered down the steps. I froze in place as I spotted the pile of dust at the bottom and took an aggressive bite. I'd have to leave it for now else we'd be late. But that didn't mean my neighbour had won! I glared at their apartment and pulled open the door of Bradley's car.

‘Morning,’ I said, clipping in my seatbelt.

‘To you to.'

‘It’s really hot,’ I added, rolling down the window.

‘There's a storm rolling in over the week,’ he said as he pulled out of the parking spot. 'Probably will be humid 'til then.'

‘Really?’ I frowned. 'Wait. Are we actually talking about the weather?’ I asked.

‘Yeah I feel kind of old right now,’ Bradley snorted.

‘So where are we going after detention?’ I asked, glancing over at him curiously.

He smirked. ‘You’ll have to wait and see.’

‘You’re so annoying,’ I complained, punching him in the arm.

‘Driving here,' he laughed, batting my hand off.

‘You deserved it,’ I muttered.

When he parked in the school lot, we were immediately accosted by George. He whipped open my door, only a second after I removed my seatbelt, and I blinked up at him in surprise.

‘What the-’ I began but he grabbed my hand and swiftly pulled me out. ‘What’re you doing?’ I demanded.

‘I just don’t want you to stress yourself out too much,’ George said with a wicked grin. He took my bag from me and wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me towards the school.

‘Are you on something?’ I asked, raising my eyebrow.

‘Don’t worry,’ he whispered. ‘Your secret is safe with me.’

I froze. ‘What secret?’

He simply winked in reply and I didn't get a chance to demand more info out of him as he pulled us over to Remi and the others.

‘What’s going on?’ Remi asked curiously. Her eyes darted between George's arm around me and she narrowed her eyes fractionally.

‘Beats me,’ I shrugged, finally managing to shake George off. I shoved him away with a scowl

He can’t possibly know my actual secret else he certainly wouldn't be smiling. Unless he was a psychopath. I couldn't rule that out. Someone must have fed him a different story to cover it up. I looked at Kyle and raise my eyebrow in question.

‘Woah,’ he said, holding up both of his hands. ‘This has nothing to do with me!'

‘Why would it have something to do with Kyle?’ Remi asked, getting more suspicious by the second. She turned to Kyle and scrutinised him closely. He raised his hands even higher at her look.

‘Seriously, if you’re looking for answers look elsewhere,’ he said as the bell rang overhead.

‘Can I have my bag back now?’ I asked George, attempting to swipe it from his shoulder. He dodged away easily.

‘Don’t be exhausting yourself now,’ he said.

'What are you talking about?’ I demanded.

‘I can’t say, I’m sure you don’t want everyone to know quite yet,’ he smiled. He held out my bag and I snatched it from him aggressively. ‘I’ve got your back!’ he yelled after me as I headed towards the main entrance.