Chapter 6

"Hey Jax?" 

I lift my head up and glance at Lia, who's at the door. "Hey Lia. What's up?"

"We're leaving in an hour. Do you have everything ready?" She looks around at the mess around me. I have all my papers and work surrounding me. My desk is a complete mess, similar to my life.

"Yeah, of course." I nod, though I haven't even started packing yet. 

"Do you have a minute to spare?" She sits at the corner of my bed. I nod and stop doing my current work. 

She considers me for a brief moment before responding, "What are you planning?" 

"Whatever do you mean?" I respond. I gauge her body language.

"You're up to something." She also watches me carefully.

"I am." I don't deny it. 

"You don't need to know yet, but I will tell you in due time."

"Alright." Lia nods but she seems to have a conflicting battle of thoughts running around in her mind. I can tell only because her eyebrows are slightly furrowed. 

"You know..." She gives me a funny look. "I've dealt with multiple types of people. I've analyzed and read almost all types, but your family is interesting."

"Aren't we family?"

"Your parents, Robin, and you are interesting. There's nothing bad about it." She shrugs. 

"Aren't you a peculiar one too?" I lean back on my chair and glance at her. My chair gives as i lean too much on it. I fall very ungracefully onto my thankfully carpeted flooring. 

I clear my throat and reset the chair. This time I'm careful to not lean as far. "How have you been?" 

"I've been well." Lia smiles and fixes her long blonde hair into a messy bun. 

"That's good. What about work life and..." I pause and smirk. "...your love life?"

"What love life?" Lia laughs and rolls onto her stomach. "Work has been pretty great though. I'm almost fluent in four languages, but I'm working on my fifth. I've met and represented so many amazing people. Of course, all the paperwork and official rules may be a pain at times, but politics are fun." 

"Politics? Fun?" I tease her. She merely laughs shortly before asking, "How's school? Did you switch majors?"

"Hey now, we aren't finished talking about your fabulous life as a US diplomatic translator by day...assassin by  night." I wink and joke once more. I can tell I misnamed her occupation but I know the official name runs along those lines. 

"Ha ha, very funny. But really, enough about me." Lia waits for me to answer her initial questions.

"I'm a mess in school." I sigh and throw my head back. 

"What's wrong?" Lia frowns worriedly. 

"I don't know what I'm doing in college. My interests span over various majors and career paths. I thought I wanted to head towards the medical field, but then I leaned towards computer science. Now, I'm torn between engineering or linguistics...It's boring and complicated stuff, really." 

I'm one quarter away from graduating with a major in Biochemistry since I aspire to be a surgeon. Yet, I know that I don't have the patience to go through graduate school and my residency program, that is if I even make it that far. I'm also minoring in computer science, though at this rate it's about to become a double major. 

Again, it's a boring topic.

"If you want to talk boring, then I could talk about my paperwork. Anyways, that's a lot of different majors but it's okay. You will find out what you want to do eventually. You don't need to decide here and now. You have time so don't force yourself to choose a career path right here and now." Lia gets all wise on me.