Left Alone

The play was a little over an hour and a half, with an interval in the middle. I surprised myself by actually enjoying it.

The seating arrangement on the coach on the way back was more or less the same as on the way there. However...

Mr Way climbed on last again, patted the driver on the back and took another register. When he had finished, he said something quiet to the TA before sliding into the seat next to me.

"I hope you don't mind me sitting here?" He smiled at me.

It took me a second to understand what was happening. "Uh no. Go ahead." I smiled a little.

I felt a little uncomfortable for a moment as I realised how much of a teacher's pet I actually was. That was until Mr Way started talking about the play and the symbolism of different parts and how much he had enjoyed it. I had never thought of plays to be something to analyse but I guess you learn a new thing every day.

The journey back to school felt quicker than the one there and soon, we were stood in the school's parking lot, waiting for our parents to pick us up. Mr Way had insisted we were picked up as it was getting on for half seven and because it was the start of the year, it was still getting dark early.

I hoped my dad would be here soon because it was honestly pretty chilly and all I wanted to do was eat a shitload and collapse in bed, hating myself and my stupid crush on my teacher.

Sadly, my dad was late as usual. By the time there were only two of us left, with the TA and Mr Way waiting, Mr Way let the TA leave and said he would wait with us. The  TA left and we continued to wait.

By the time ten to eight came around, the other kid waiting was finally picked up so that meant it was just me and Mr Way waiting. I hadn't really talked to him since before, on the coach.

Mr Way seemed to be staring up at the sky. "It's a shame the stars are arduous to observe." He suddenly said out loud.

I looked up as well. Sure enough, only a few were visible in the night sky.

"Probably pollution." I said.

"Such a shame." He sighed.

I looked at him again. He honestly looked so beautiful at that moment, staring up at the night sky in the half-light with the moon shining down his face. I felt slightly mesmerised.

"Iero?" He pulled me out of my gaze by looking at me.

"Uh yeah?" I had to look away out of embarrassment.

"Will your parent or guardian be here yet? It's honestly no worry but I am getting a little cold." I could hear the slight guilt in his voice.

"I told my dad we'd be back by half seven." I said quietly, "I could start walking. I only live around-"

"Oh no!" He cut me off, causing me to look at him again, "There is no earthly way I will allow you to wander off on your own."

I couldn't help but smile a little.

He recognised it and smiled back, moving closer to stand next to me. "In normal circumstances, I have an aversion to small talk. However, this seems like a suitable time to use it." He paused for a moment as he thought about what to say next.

I watched him, wondering what type of small talk he meant.

In the end, he said, "How are you feeling about your character now? More confident? Or less so?"

To be perfectly honest, I hadn't given my role much thought. I couldn't tell him that though.

"I feel the same, I guess." I shrugged.

Mr Way sucked on his bottom lip as he thought of a response. He eventually replied with, "How are Fridays after school?"

"What?" I frowned.

He smirked at me, "For that extra help. I would suggest during your free lessons but I occasionally have meetings then so I simply couldn't commit one hundred per cent. How about Fridays after school? You come to my classroom and we work on characterisation and overall confidence while performing. How does that sound?"

A smile slowly grew on my face. "That sounds great, Sir. Thanks."

"That is no problem at all, Iero." He replied with. He was about to speak again when he stopped and then changed his thought process. "Might this be your father?"

I looked in the same direction and sure enough, my dad was pulling into the parking lot. It was about fucking time. Although, I didn't really want to end this conversation. Too bad.

My dad turned around and waited by the end of the car park for me.

"I shall see you on Monday then." Mr Way pulled his shoulder bag over his shoulders properly. "Have a cordial weekend."

"You too, Sir." I smiled back before making my way over to my dad's car.

As my dad pulled out of the parking lot, I watched Mr Way get into his own car and a smile made its way onto my face without my permission.

"Is that your teacher?" My dad asked.

"Yeah."

"How old is he? He looks pretty young." My dad observed.

"I don't know." I shrugged, facing forward again.

"He only looks a couple years older than you."

Don't remind me, I thought.

---

I was actually in this exact situation with my Drama teacher in high school. I was the last to be picked up and it was so awkward and uncomfortable being left alone with him in the cold. Plus, he was such an asshole about it. I wish my teacher had been like Frank's in this story.

-Beth :3