TWENTY-ONE (EDITED)

I awaken to a fierce pounding noise

I groan and pull the pillow over my head. It's Saturday, who's at the door?

That's when I remember where I am.

I hear the door creak open.

"Can I help you?" Harry asks, his voice raspy from sleep.

"Yeah, have you seen Rose anywhere? She hasn't been answering her phone and she doesn't seem to be home."

I widen my eyes.

Aaron.

Oh shit.

"Uh..." Harry trails off.

I peek over the top of the couch. Harry leans against the door, scratching the back of his neck nervously. If Aaron comes in here, he'll draw conclusions quickly and assume that Harry and I... ugh. The thought makes me shudder.

Lie, I command harry mentaly. Lie to him.

"She probably went out ot get coffee." Harry says. "She usually has it at work, but it's the weekend, so..."

"Oh. Right."

I breathe out a sigh of relief.

"What was that?"

I freeze. Aaron heard that?

"My...cat." Harry says.

"I didn't know pets were allowed in the building."

"They're not. It's a secret. Shh."

I cover my mouth to keep myself from laughing at Harry's lie.

"Can I see it."

"No, it's one of the hairless ones. Really gross looking. And it... has rabies."

"Shouldn't you get that checked out, then? Rabies is pretty serious."

"Look, mate, I appreciate your concern, but-"

The door swings open and Aaron walks in, his eyes immediatley landing on me. He widens his eyes, anger filling them quickly.

"Rose?" He asks in disbelief.

I shoot up from the couch. "Aaron."