55

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 55: Mass Murder

{D. K}

Dakota sat on Damon's bed, her small body protected by the thick, soft sheets of his duvet that were black. Her hair was placed in a messy bun that Damon put in her hair the night before so she could lay comfortably on his chest and avoid inhaling strands of her hair in his sleep. "You're going."

"No, I'm not." She protested defiantly, covering her head with the cover she'd been in all morning since she finally woke up. "I heard from a hybrid that Klaus was taking Caroline."

"Are you kidding me, Kota?" Damon faced her, putting in a white dress shirt that Dakota had ironed for him the night before while trying to distract her brain from her ex-boyfriend. Damon buttoned up the shirt quickly, walking over to the bed with his black blazer and tie. Dakota picked up the black tie, wrapping it under the collar of the shirt, she was carful with each fold, taking her time to make it perfect. "Kota, you're my best friend and you're gorgeous. Don't let some egotistical douche take away any moment for you to shine. So you're going to get up, get dressed, and show him what he's missing."

A smile spread across Dakota's nearly perfect face. She pulled him in for a hug, accepting a kiss on the cheek before running off to Damon's shower with newfound confidence that she thought she had lost.

Formal events were never Dakota thing, even when she was human, but the pep talk gave her hope that she didn't have much of anymore. "Dakota King, what a pleasant surprise."

"Professor Shane, I'd say I was surprised, but you seem like the kind of man who makes it a habit to show up unexpectedly."

Shane laughed, taking a sip of the champagne from his flute. "You look very beautiful," He compliments, taking in her red dress instead of commenting on her words.

Dakota looked away, catching the jealous eye of Klaus who was so focused on Dakota and he conversation with another man that he was ignoring every word being said by his date. "Thank you," She responded a bit louder that usual, making sure that Klaus' eyes was all on her and her next words. Can we go somewhere else a little quieter?"

Shane held out his arm, allowing the vampire to hold on while they walked across the Lockwood's perfect lawn in a comfortable silence. "We're looking for a hunter."

"Why?"

"Same reason that anyone would need one."

The professor could sense Dakota's urgency. "I though you already had a potential."

"I do, but it's going to be a pain to get what I need from him. He's got lots of protection and I could kill them, but they're friends of mine."

Shane hummed in acknowledgement at Dakota's misfortune. "Sorry, but there's nothing I can do to help you."

By now, Dakota and Shane had walked away from the large mass of people, and he didn't have enough luck to disappoint Dakota and live. "Wrong answer. You see, Shane, I'm pretty sneaky and I got my hands on your folder. Just some information on you, things I'm sure you don't want people to know."

"You don't have anything on me."

Dakota crossed her arms and chucked. "So your telling me you don't know Pastor Young? You know, the man who claimed to love God, but took the life of twelve innocent people? Because those files show you and your secret lover racked up quite the phone bill, especially the day he decided to have a human barbecue."

"If you want to ask me something, just do so."

"My pleasure," She shot back. "How did you convince the pastor to kill all of those people?"

Shane smiled, but there wasn't a trace of humor behind his hazel eyes. "Did you just accuse me of mass murder?"

"Yes."

"You're sick."

Dakota clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth. "Vampires don't get sick. We get answers."

"I can't be compelled, so good luck with that."

Her brown eyes stayed hooked on Shane's retrieving figure, growing sharp with hatred the further he went. "I'll take that as a challenge."

Carol Lockwood's cheery voice was loud and clear, making the war of each person who attended the Annual Miss Mystic Falls pageant listen to each word she said.

Dakota took a minute to walk back and find Damon, her heels were sinking into the grass and it was annoying her to no end. "I can't believe you made me go to this." Damon gave Dakota a half-smile, looking very handsome in the suit that complimented his skin and bright blue eyes.

"I didn't make you. I just told you what you should do, the rest was all your doing."

The brunette accepted the brutal truth, not taking too much time to dwell on it when she saw Shane again. "I spoke to Professor S."

"How'd that go?"

"I accused him of mass murder."

"Atta girl."