Chapter Fifty Eight

"What the fȕck are you-" Nash gaped when I showed up right behind him.

"What the hell were you thinking?" I demanded storming over to him still sporting the handcuff around my wrist though the chain connected it to the steering wheel was broken. "You're going to die if you do this!"

"I'll be fine! You're going to die! You know if Giovanni sees you, fȕck if anyone sees you-"

"You aren't doing this alone Nash. Understand me? My Dad, my Uncle, you, there are too many people are I care about involved in this."

"Go home Kate. Go home and be with Alessio, let him keep you save. Please." When I just stared at him in disbelief he grew angry and motioned towards a huge set of deep red doors. "Do you even realize what you are doing here? That there dozens if not hundreds of angry, brutal, horny mafia men standing right behind this door? Especially the one in charge who has been calling for your head for months? Do you remember Giovanni? Golf club, knife, cigar? Don't you fȕcking know what will happen if these doors open and you're caught out here?"

"How can you be so selfish!"

"Selfish?" He repeated in disbelief.

"Yes! You're going to leave Ellie, and your sisters, and me-"

"This is about more than just myself, you know that. If we pull these off we could be saving hundreds, no, thousands. These mobs have been running the show and killing innocents longer than we've both even been alive. I have to-"

"You can go and activate the GPS, you don't have to go and get killed!"

"And I'm the selfish one?" He spat back. "You want me to call in all the cops, my fellow brothers who have sworn their life to the law and honor, and then just abandon them? Because what, you'd be sad if something happened to me? You're going to call me the selfish one? You're not against me activating this thing to stop everything you just don't want me there to see it through."

"Who is going to take care of Ellie? Huh? You said it yourself, her mother is already gone, so you're just going to die too and leave her an orphan?"

"Damn it Kate you think I haven't had these loose ends tied up for months? I knew exactly how risky this position was when I joined the force, Ellie won't be an orphan, she has three wonderful aunts, and grandparents, and I have a trust fund set up for everything will be fine for Ellie, trust me. There is not a single person or thing more important to me than that little girl, I wouldn't leave her with nothing. But I also took an oath, I swore that I would do everything in my power to uphold the law and keep this city safe, to keep Ellie safe, and damn it I'm going to do it!"

I didn't know what to say, so I said nothing. We had a long stare down and after a moment Nash ran his hand up his face. "You aren't leaving, are you?"

"No." I said firmly.

"Come this way, over there you can be out of sight, hide somewhere or something." Nash said relatively calm for someone who was walking into certain death.

I wasn't sure how I was feeling about this. This would be over soon. So soon. Everything would be wrapped up, the threat of the Bonnano killing us would be gone, I would have to come clean with Alessio once and for all and maybe, just maybe, we would still have a life together. You know, if he didn't shoot me in the head or I didn't get caught here and Giovanni beat him to it.