Chapter 16: When His Eyes Met Hers

A/N:
So, I have this important notice for all of you my lovelies. Once again I'll be away for about five days starting on Friday. Thus, I won't be able to update within that period. However, don't worry. The new update will be posted shortly, say maybe a day or two after I come back from the important matters I have to attend. That's all!

Love,
DNA. 😘

***

"So, what did you tell mom when you leave the house?" Petra asked her dad teasingly.

Logan chuckled as both of them took a seat in the corner of the bakery. "Meeting a friend. I heard your brother's coming back to the office today. How did you escape?"

Her laughter died down as her brows furrowed. Her eyes were calculating, slightly darkened as she stared at both of her hands.

"I didn't tell him." Petra mumbled. "I'm surprised when my secretary informed me that he'll be coming in today."

Logan nodded stiffly while Petra slowly scanned the bakery with her eyes. Momentarily, her eyes stopped at each of the workers. She frowned slightly, "I don't see Alexandra around."

"Maybe she's out for a while." Logan then grinned, "If you sit that side right there, you can see pictures of Alexandra and a man who seemed to be her beau hanged on the wall."

Hearing that, Petra cringed slightly and stared at her father who was smiling broadly at the moment. Before she could retort back, a tall man with a little boy by his side stood by their table.

The shock on their faces were quickly replaced with uneasy smiles as they greeted Nikolei and Gayle. Her eyes witnessed how his brother's brows shot up curiously. As her eyes descended towards Gayle, he was grinning broadly while waving his little hand at both her father and her.

"Grandpa! Aunt Petra!" Gayle excitedly greeted them.

Petra could feel Nikolei's burning gaze directed at her as she gulped invisibly. His eyes held the questioning glare, and she knew just exactly why. It was odd, very odd for her to leave the office at this time of the day. Quite early for a mild workaholic like her. She could come up with many excuses but it would be hard for Nikolei to believe her since she'd never listen to their very own mother's rant about her coming back home late when all of a sudden, here she was today just to visit a bakery with their father.

Petra watched as their old man stood abruptly from his seat and greeted his only son. Panic was slightly evident in his eyes but his lips gave away a smile. "Son! Funny seeing you here. Hey, kiddo." His hands brushed through Gayle's dark brunette locks.

"Funny indeed." Nikolei retorted, still frowning. Slowly, Gayle climbed onto his lap and eased himself there. "Surprised to see Petra leaving the office so early today. Who knew little sister hangs out at a small bakery with dad. So... unlikely of you."

She smiled as Gayle threw her his cheeky smile. Her smile vanished and was replaced with an irritating look when she caught Nikolei smirked annoyingly in the corner of her eyes.

She huffed, "What are you doing here anyway? Hi, nephew."

"Gayle's little crush told him about the blueberry tarts this bakery makes. So, we decided to go and try it out. I don't see why not." He said rather indifferently.