36. Unmask.

John and Sherlock were standing outside on the parking lot of school.  The rain was pouring over them, soaking them completely. John's heart  pounding in his chest. He's going to meet serial killers. The place is  surrounded with a police team, hidden between the trees, and bushes. The  darkness is falling what made it easier for the cops to be not seen.  Sherlock looked quite calm. His face straight, looking for any sign of a  posture walking towards them. When he saw John trembling from anxiety  or from the cold, Sherlock grabbed his hand, and squeezed it slightly.  He looked down at John and smiled fondly at him. John returned the  smile.

After 5 minutes, still no sign of a person. John sighed  violently, looking vaguely around. Sherlock looked at him, raising an  eyebrow.

"This must be a joke." John said.

"No, he's testing  us." Sherlock replied dryly. Just then Sherlock's phone vibrated. He  tugged it out of his coat pocket, and opened the text from an anonymous  sender. It read:

Plans change. Rooftop. See you soon. [07:13 PM]

Sherlock  cursed to himself, dropping John's hand, and paced around. He ran a  hand through his hair and gazed anxiously at his phone again. He then  ducked it back into his pocket. John frowned and walked over to him, and  held his hands against Sherlock's chest.

"What's wrong?" He asked  worriedly. Sherlock sighed and grabbed his phone again and showed John  the message. John eyes widened. "The rooftop?"

"Yes, the rooftop."  Sherlock said, ignoring the voices in his ear from DI Lestrade. "There  is no safety on the rooftop, John. I want you to stay here." Sherlock  said. John shook his head, laughing sarcastically.

"No." John  said, crossing his arms. Sherlock sighed, knowing he won't be able to  change John's mind. He moved the earpiece closer to his ear. "Someone  contacted me. They want me to come to the rooftop." He said firmly to  Greg's dad through the hidden communication tools. Lestrade told  Sherlock that he had to wait for a moment, so he can make a plan.

Afterwards,  they had a plan. Well, the plan isn't better than the other one.  Because on the rooftop, they can't be surrounded by cops. There will be  cops in the hall by the stairs. But that's it. Down on the parking, they  could surround the murders, and shoot when they have to.

John and  Sherlock are walking onto the rooftop. They didn't see anyone. Sherlock  searched John's hand and took it in his as they are walking towards the  middle of the rooftop. When they are in the middle, Sherlock sighed.  For the first time showing a sign of panic on his face.

"We'll be fine, right?" John asked quietly.

"Of  course." Sherlock whispered back, looking vaguely around. Then,  Sherlock gasped, the shock and bewilderment on his face made him look  about ten years old. He didn't see this one coming.

"Hello, love." Someone spoke to him in a high pitched voice, locking the door. John's mouth dropped open.

"That's..." John hesitated.

"Yes, it's me." The person interrupted with an Irish accent, smiling, looking deep into Sherlock's eyes.

"How?" Sherlock blurted out. Not believing what he's seeing.

"Oh,  Sherlock. I thought you were different. It was easy. Now I've got to go  back to playing with the ordinary people. And it turns out you're ordinary just like all of them." Jim said quietly, disappointed.

"Why  me? You don't know me. Why I am involved?" Sherlock asked brutally,  pacing closer towards Jim. John clenched his teeth and took a step  closer, grabbing Sherlock's hand and pulled him backwards. Jim laughed  at John's actions and walked closer, pacing around the two, with the  biggest smile he has.