Chapter 6

Nawal blinked and her grip on her phone strengthened. Did she see it right? The number she had been waiting for all week had finally texted her. She abruptly sat up on her bed, the duvet falling from her shoulders and falling around her waist. Her heart beat raced, breathing heavily with trembling fingers, she unlocked her phone and clicked on the text. Her eyes scanned the four-word text message for a good few seconds and then closed her eyes relishing the fact he had finally texted her. How many times during this week she had the urge to text him? How many times she had typed texts and then deleted them? A smile gradually spread but her eyebrows knotted in concentration as to how to reply and not sound too eager.

She typed,

Yes I am awake.

But she backspaced this immediately. It didn't seem right. Biting her lip, she finally typed one word:

Yes

Inhaling deeply she clicked the send button. She waited for a prompt reply but nothing came. She waited a minute, two minutes and more. By the fifth minute, she gave up and slide down on her bed with a heavy heart. He probably texted her by mistake. As she cuddled under the duvet, the text message alert surprised her. Hurriedly, she grabbed the phone that was laying on her pillow.

How are you?

She wasn't going to answer this fast. She didn't want to look desperate. She let time pass, after five minutes she typed her reply.

Fine and you?

There was a prompt response skidding Nawal's heartbeat.

Fine too. Want to chat on What's App?

She licked her dry bottom lip and typed the single word.

Yes.

Immediately a text message on What's App popped up on the screen. She clicked on it and smiled looking at his profile picture. He was so handsome. He was standing sideways and the sun was rising behind him. The picture gave him a mysterious look. But she could make out his facial expressions.

Daud: So how was your week?

Nawal: Not bad, and yours?

Daud: work, stress, same old news.

Nawal: I hope things work out for you.

Daud: thanks. I was thinking about you all throughout this week.

Nawal's finger hovered over the phone keyboard. Her heart beat speeded up even more. She didn't know what to reply.

Daud: did you think of me?

Oh Allah, what was he doing? How should I answer to such a question? Thinking over her reply, she typed the only word she could think of.

Nawal: Maybe.

Daud: lol well I guess that's a good start. Let's be friends?

Nawal: Ok

And that started their chat for the next two hours where Daud asked her various questions about her and Nawal asked few questions of her own.

Where Nawal and Daud were busy amongst themselves, in the dark home office at the Siddique household sat a very tired Salman. Gazing absently at his laptop screen thinking his next strategy to ensure the contract and relationship with the investor and the supplier. His head hurt for over thinking. Rubbing his temple, he picked his phone from the desk and sauntered to his bedroom. After changing his clothes, he laid down and fiddled with his phone still in thoughts of business strategy. That was enough for the night, he chided himself. He wanted to refresh his mind. Clicking on the What's App icon he then clicked on a name that he clicked every night but never dared message her. He respected her a lot to engage in any kind of conversation before everything was set for their marriage.