4 - The Boss's Son

Class was over about an hour later. Everyone was improving with their synchronization which was good especially with the recital approaching at the end of the month. Even little Katrina knew most of the steps by herself though she wasn't the best at actually doing them. She passed it off though since she would appear just the most adorable little thing ever when she stumbled around.

The parents were stopping by and picking up their children. Some would stop to chat and ask how their child was doing. Carmen and I took alternate shifts explaining if they were improving, excelling, or needed work and where if they did. We were always truthful with the parents and tried our best to put every child in the most positive light. No parent wanted to know that their child might have sucked at dancing so we would tell them that their balance was good but their memory of the moves wasn't as good as it could be. Then we would go and suggest ways that the parents could help getting involved by going over the routine at home or maybe working on some memory games to help with that skill.

Some studios around New York would tell every parent that their child was the next Margot Fonteyn (a famous deceased British ballet dancer) just to get more money out of them. As some programs would say, if the parent would just pay for one extra class, then their child would skyrocket in talent even though they really wouldn't. How much better can a six year old get at turning in circles? Carmen didn't need money as an immortal and was more concerned about giving rather than gaining.

My neighbor, Bianca stopped by to pick up her daughter. She was a young lady probably in her late twenties or early thirties. She had the same curly blonde hair that her daughter had and tired brown eyes. Her daughter had these bright green eyes that always seemed to sparkle. Katrina rushed over excitedly to greet her mom. I smiled at the contact between the two of them. Bianca always worked so hard to provide for her daughter as a single mother but her face always lit up when she saw her baby girl.

"How's she doing?" Bianca asked politely. She always spoke with a motherly tone like she didn't have a care in the world when in reality, I knew that she had problems; not ones that she would care to discuss openly much either.

"She is getting better. By the time of the recital, she may be the next Black Swan."

Bianca laughed and bounced up her little girl in her arms. She knew that I was making a playful joke inside a compliment. "One day maybe, but for now she can just stumble and turn in a tutu."

"At least she'll be cute," I assured with a laugh.

"Thank you so much Evelyn, for everything," Bianca said giving me a small smile. "Ever since Daniel left, things have been hectic with my job. I didn't think Katrina could keep doing dance."

I waved her away while shifting my weight. "Anytime, Katrina is too adorable and I'm happy to help you with anything. I understand that times are rough."

"Yeah and speaking of, I know that next Wednesday I have to do a double shift and if Katy still wants to do dance the next day..."

"I do," she chimed in happily. Bianca smiled at her before turning back to me.

"Then I would appreciate if you could watch her and bring her in with you. It wouldn't be this Wednesday but next, do you think you could watch her for the night?"

"No problem," I promised. "Looks like we are going to have a girl sleepover little missy!"

"Yay!" Katrina shouted bouncing in her mother's grip.

"You are such a life saver," Bianca marveled. "I don't know what I would do without you."

"Have a different babysitter?" I suggested. Bianca smiled before we said our goodbyes and they headed home for the day. After the rest of the studio was cleaned out of the children, it was only my boss and I left.