17 - The Arrival

17 - The Arrival

Rosemarie's Point of View

After that awkward elevator ride down to the lobby, I took off running in the opposite direction that Demetri was heading towards. I cussed under my breath and wondered if the world was trying to go against all my wills just to piss me off.

'Cos, yeah, world, it's working alright, but I would like a refund.

It wasn't that I was being childish and all but I just ready to talk to him after that... that incident.

Beads of sweat trickled down forehead and brows as I ran relentlessly, a random pop song blasting in my ears.

As I ran, I passed by a couple wearing matching tracksuits, running together and sharing earphones. I silently wondered if Demetri and I would ever be like that.

I groaned. This run is not very effective at taking my mind of things after all. And by things, I mean Demetri effing Arch.

The apartment came into sight and I jogged faster, the thought of air-conditioning luring me in. I was out of breath when I pushed the doors open, the cool gush of air immediately making me sigh in relief.

---

I just wanted to clarify that it was not my fault.

I mean, I was really busy when I was 16, so I didn't get a license and was to lazy to go get it afterwards. And I'm only a student, working in a closed-down-for-maintenance cafe, meaning I don't have much money to get a cab or Uber.

So, basically, it is technically not entirely my fault (okay so many I should've not been lazy and get a license as well as a new job) that I had to ask Demetri Arch for a ride.

Sue me, I really wanted to go and welcome Dana and Lily back from their trip that I would go to desperate measures such as asking the man the two of them are in love with to drive me there.

Now many people have told me before that I am a hotheaded and stubborn person who don't like to ask for things. But, oh no, they were wrong because here we have an example of Rose asking for things.

"Okay so, Lily and Dana are coming back today and you know I don't have a car--or a license actually--so I was wondering if you can drive me and stuff. I mean, I get it if you don't wanna pick me, but I would really appreciate it if you drove me there, you know. Like I would thank you and give your flowers and stuff. Maybe not flowers. That would be weird, right? Maybe a thank you card. Yeah. So, please keep that in mind. I know maybe I sound desperate, ha-ha, like you're probably thinking what is this little girl doing just rambling but you know this little girl really loves her friends so she is really wanting to go meet them--"

"Shut up," Demetri said, cutting me off. I looked up and saw him glaring down at me. Damn, why is he so tall? "Are you're right, I am wondering why this girl is just rambling and being weird."

I could see him about to shut the door so I stuck my foot in between, wincing at the wooden door crushed against my flimsy foot.

"Please?" I asked.

Demetri looked down at my foot and sighed.

"Be ready in five," He growled as I kicked my foot out, slamming the door shut.

---

The car ride was awfully awkward and I could not have gotten off the car any faster.

But however, when I attempted to open the car door, I realized I couldn't. I looked over at Demetri and realized he had locked the doors. 

"Open the door," I started off. Demetri just glared at me. This time, I glared back. "Open the God damn door, Demetri. What the hell? Open the door!"

"I wanted to say sorry," Demetri growled, making my bickering stop as a shocked stupor took over my vocal chords. "Look, I'm sorry for..."

Being such a jerk?  I snickered in my head. 

"I'm sorry for kissing you and making you think I had a things for you. I don't."

He unlocked the door and I felt a pang against my heart, but I just got out because I was surprised when it actually happened, yet at the same time not surprised because I had predicted it.

---

However, my previous heartbreak was forgotten, the excitement of meeting up with Dana and Lily--especially Lily-- bubbling up inside of me. I was running through the halls, staring at the photo Lily had sent me about the details of their flight. Demetri was having no problem keeping up. In fact, he wasn't even trying--his long legs and big strides made sure that he could be winning a marathon with a light jog while I ran my ass off.

Suddenly I felt my feet tripping over myself and I braced myself for the impact of my face against the floor.

And you know those amazing moments where the guy stops the girl from falling and everything is magical?

Yeah, that never happened.

Demetri looked at me as I grunted, pushing myself up. I could feel the eyes on me and the humiliation brought down upon me. "You okay?" He asked, in a nonchalant tone, making no moves to help me up.

Dick.

"Oh my God," A voice filled my ears and my previous pain was long forgotten. I heard a series of laughter. "Rose!"

I laughed at my clumsiness as I rushed to hug Dana and Lily. "I miss you guys!"

"We miss you too," That chant in unison.

After letting them go, I helped them with their bags as Demetri greeted them.

"Hey Dana, how was the trip?"

"It was amazing, but I need to use the restroom. I'll be back in a jiffy," She made sure to leave a kiss mark on his cheek while she skipped off.

Lily looked at him awkwardly before offering a tissue. "Um, you've got a little," She gestured to her own cheek awkwardly before retreating her arm. "Ah, never mind."

I heard Demetri's laughter and I paused for a while.

He sounded so genuine. So happy. So.. so alive.

"Well, since you won't give it to me, would you mind helping me wipe it off?" Demetri suggested as he bent down to give Lily access to wiping his lipstick stained cheek.

Lily blushed, and Demetri smiled like a child on Christmas day.

I sighed. I knew that Lily (and Dana) are much more beautiful and charismatic than I was. And yeah, I had a gazillion flaws. I was weird. I was childish. I was stupid and naive. I was reckless and didn't use my brain before speaking.

But why can't anyone love me for just that?