Chapter 36: The Run-away Wolf

Chapter 36:

The Run-away Wolf

Both me and Asuna began to head back to the Academy, smiles on both our faces after finding two really nice dresses, we were ready for the Dance!

   “I wonder if Ichijo will dance with me!” Asuna muttered doing a twirl.

   I giggled, “He better, after all that money you spent on that dress. Just ask him to dance.” I said.

   She sighed, “I don’t know if he’ll say yes though and besides there’ll be a long line of girls for him. Little point I see.” She croaked unhappily.

   “That doesn’t sound like the Asuna I know!” I said.

   She looked up at me with a sad face. I frowned. She’s turned into one of those fan-girls who admire a boy from afar. I never thought Asuna, with so much confidence, would turn into someone like that.

   Just as we were looking at each other we both heard a loud echo. It was a howl from a wolf. I shivered in fear.

   “Was that Bane? Who the hell does he think he is? Does he want to scare everyone?” Asuna spat angrily.

   I trembled at my thoughts. The howl was of an older wolf, not a cub. “That can’t have been Bane…” I stuttered.

   Asuna turned to look at me quizzically.

   “Bane’s wolf form is a cub. That howl was not a cub.” I said as my feet switched from a standstill to full on bolting. I could hear Asuna’s running steps close behind me. It was our doing bringing Bane here and if other wolves are now here it will surely be our fault!

   We came to the entrance gate and burst through as fast as we possibly could run toward the main building. I soon stopped and looked around, Asuna did also.

   “Where’d it come from?” Asuna mumbled wheezing for air.

   I span in a circle, “I don’t know…” I admitted. Nobody was around. I think everyone was in their dorms or just hanging about the villages today.

   “Yuna! Asuna!” Called a familiar voice. Both me and Asuna turned to catch Zero running towards us. “What the hell’s going on?! I know you two have something to do with this! I was with that idiot Bane until he turned into his wolf thing and ran off at the sound of another wolf’s howl!” Zero hissed throwing Bane’s pants onto the ground in anger. “I’m sick of him!”

   I picked Bane’s pants up. “He couldn’t have gone far.” I said, “I mean we just ran here at the sound of it. It’s gotta be in the school somewhere.”

   Asuna nodded, “Yeah it certainly came from this direction.”

   Just as we were talking, we heard another very similar howl and we all jumped. “There!” Zero yelled running in one direction. Both me and Asuna had little choice but to follow.

   We came to an area overgrown with plants and trees which surrounded the school. It was dark and mysterious even in daylight. It felt as if something was being enclosed inside and you felt claustrophobic everywhere you stepped.

   I walked close behind Zero, bumping into him once he stopped. I peered around him as he scanned the area.

   “It’s in here.” He said pulling out his Bloody Rose.

   I gasped, “Will that thing work on Werewolves?” I whispered.

   Asuna hit us both on the arm, “I ain’t letting either of you kill a wolf—Werewolf or not, they’re still living breathing animals.”