Chapter 3

Bobby stared at Mary slack-jawed. Jake would get no help from him, so he choked out a lame answer. "Umm— Bobby was talking about a tough job down at his garage."

"I don't believe you." Mary's eyes pinched to narrow slits.

She could always see right through Jake, but he doubled down anyway. "I'm serious."

She frowned but didn't push him for the truth, that would come later, he was sure. "Fine. So what are you two doing hanging out on my porch?"

Jake said, "We thought you and the kids could use some company."

Her eyes watered. "We could. Thank you."

Bobby stepped forward. "It was my idea."

"You guys are the best." She pulled them both in for a hug.

Squeezing them extra-tight, she nestled her head between their shoulders. Being here for her warmed Jake's heart. Bobby was right. This was doing more for Tom than hanging out in a cold cemetery. After she regained her composure, she stepped back and rubbed away her tears. Which was when Jake noticed an older gentleman in a tie and jacket waiting in the doorway.

Mary followed Jake's questioning gaze. "Oops. I forgot. Tom's boss stopped by during his lunch hour to check on us too. He was just leaving."

"Gentlemen."

Mary introduced them. "These are Tom's friends, Jake Bryant and Bobby Andollini."

"Nice to meet you. I'm Dolan Magnusson."

Bobby shook his hand, followed by Jake. The grip was firm, and he had an air of authority. Jake guessed he was in his late fifties by the crow's feet. His cropped salt and pepper hair spoke of someone with military history.

Mary gave Dolan a polite hug. "Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your concern."

"It's the least I could do." Dolan stepped off the porch. "Please remember my offer."

"I don't think that I'm ready for that, but I will let you know when I am." Mary smiled and went inside the house; Bobby trailed after her.

Jake didn't. Instead, he chased after Dolan, stopping him in the yard. There wouldn't be a better time for Jake to start his own investigation. "Wait. Do you have a minute?"

"Only a minute. I should really get back to the office."

"Thanks. So you were Tom's boss? I don't recall seeing you at the funeral."

"Unfortunately, I was out of town on urgent business. I take it that you are very close to the family, Jake."

"Yep. Tom's best friend since grade school."

"Wow. That's a long time. I've been Tom's boss for over ten years. Hired him right out of college. He was a hell of a guy."

"Yes. Tom was," Jake agreed.

"It's terrible when a man is struck down in his prime and leaves a family behind. I've seen it before." Dolan rested a hand on Jake's shoulder and gave it a squeeze. His touch made Jake's skin crawl.

Jake stepped back. "You have?"

"Yes." Dolan frowned as his hand fell back to his side. "At least Tom had a good life insurance policy. Mary shouldn't have to worry financially."

"That's good."

As Tom's boss, Dolan should have knowledge of Tom's benefits package, but sharing that kind of information was a breach of confidentiality. However, Dolan knew Jake was a close friend who would be concerned, so Jake chalked it up to an honest mistake.

Dolan leaned in close. "Can you believe the police have no leads?"

"No. I can't," Jake lied.

"The company chipped in $10,000 on the reward for information."

"I know Mary appreciates everything you've done for her," Jake said as he tried to keep his growing dislike this man out of his voice.

Dolan smiled. "It's the least we could do."

Jake smiled back. "Since you're Tom's boss, maybe you could tell me if Tom was working on something sensitive? Anything that could've got him in trouble?"

"No. Definitely not."

"Tom's death seemed too violent to be a random act. I thought being an accountant was pretty boring, but maybe there was an unhappy customer who was carrying a grudge?"

Dolan shook his head. "We perform general accounting for traditional companies. All our customers are pleased with our services."

Jake asked, "Had you noticed anything unusual in Tom's behavior the last few weeks?"

"No."

"He hadn't acted out of character?"

Dolan groaned audibly. "No."

Jake ignored Dolan's obvious frustration with his questioning. "Did Tom have any enemies? A co-worker who was possibly jealous of his last promotion?"

Dolan pointed his finger at Jake. "Tom told me one of his friends was a detective in Chicago. It must be you. Am I right?"

Jake shrugged uncomfortably. "I'm no longer a detective, but I guess you never stop wanting answers."

"Then you're doing your own investigation?"

"Not officially."

"I would guess not." Dolan rubbed his hands together. "Do you mind me asking why you're no longer with Chicago PD?"

Jake said, "Yes. I do mind."

Dolan's brow furrowed, tangling his thick eyebrows. But he regained his composure quickly and moved towards his car. "Well, I'm sorry, but I told the real detective everything I know. I'm sure they'll find Tom's murderer or murderers soon."

"I hope, and it looks like my minute is up."

Dolan grinned. "I think it was more like five minutes, but who's counting."

Jake laughed and turnedback towards the house. "Maybe you, since you're an accountant."