4

A/N Hi guys! In case you couldn't already tell, I am tweaking some of the storyline, timeline and character backstories just a little to suit my original character. :)
Please enjoy, and please let me know what you think! Feedback = Faster Updates! :)

'I have given you your assignments now carry them out! You and you with me. Now.' Maryse's voice was loud and filled with authority as she turned away from her children and the Fairchild girl. Clary and Alec watched as she walked away, Izzy and Jace following her silently.

'Well, that was a window into the weird.' Clary broke the tense silence the eldest female Lightwoods presence had left behind. 'What did you do to piss off your mum?' She turned to Alec.

Alec's mouth was set in a thin line, clearly annoyed at being stuck with her.

'I'd guess, for a start all the unsanctioned missions on your behalf didn't go over that big with the clave.' Alec walked away from the newest shadowhunter towards the training room.

'Looks like we're stuck with each other.' Clary commented as she followed him, much to Alec's annoyance and amusement. 'For what it's worth, I think your Mum was too tough on you out there.'

'Mothers are like that.' Alec's reply was sharp as he picked up one of the wooden practice staffs used for training.

'Mine's not.' Clary held the staff in her hands, weighing it.

Alec watched as Clary squared her shoulders. 'Go ahead and knock me on my ass. You'll feel better.'

Alec rolled his eyes at her. 'Don't make me say you're right about something. Plant your feet wide.'

Clary did as she was told.

'Why did you let your Mum say all those awful things about Izzy?'

Alec blocked Clary's hit.

'Don't step into the strike. Step through it. Izzy was out of bounds. The law is hard but it is the law. Even I forget that sometimes.' Clary struck at Alec again, and once again Alec blocked her attack with ease.

'So your just gonna let her send Jace out instead of you?' Clary was confused by Alec's acceptance.

'If I screw up, I expect to be punished. I'm supposed to be a leader.' Alec replied easily as he blocked another hit.

'You know what leaders do Alec? They make decisions. You need to find Valentine and stop him, and I need to find Valentine and help save my mother.' Alec swung a chain of attacks at her that Clary failed to block as Alec flipped her over onto her back.

'You need to work on you defence. What do you think? Do you think we haven't been trying to find your mother?' He asked as he extended a hand to help her up, something that surprised Clary who took his hand anyway.

'Of course you have. But I know you can colour outside the lines. You're just not letting yourself think that way.' Clary faced Alec again.

'Oh yeah? What's the big thought I'm not thinking?'

Alec stepped away from Clary, lowering his defence to give her a chance to breathe.

'We can still find Valentine. I might know a way.' At Alec's questioning glance she continued. 'My mother hid a lot from me, but I did see one thing. There's a box. She didn't think I knew about it, but she opened it once a year and cried.'

'Because...?' Alec trailed off

'It belonged to my father. It had his initials, J.A.C on top. '

'Why J.A.C?' Alec questioned.