5 Tricks to Writer's Block

5 TRICKS TO WRITER'S BLOCK
[how to get rid of it]

1) Write out of order

If you're having trouble writing a particular scene, write a different one. If you have an idea for a line in the chapter, or a scene later on, write it. My chapters, when I first start writing them, honestly look something like this:

"Any news?" I asked, looking around.
~Stuff Happens~
He shot me an incredulous look. "Are you kidding? Look at her!"
~Stuff Happens~
He doens't remember me.
~end~

Then I go back and fill in small parts until they all connect. Sometimes, if you can't write, it's more of you don't know how to say something, than you don't know what to say. Like, I have trouble writing romance scenes, so whenever i have one, I always write the rest of the chapter first, even if the romantic scene is in the middle, then go and write the romantic scene.

You can do this with chapters in a book too. If you know what happens in Chapter 13, and have a clear vision and the words are already forming in your head, write it even if you're only on Chapter 10. 
A bad thing about doing this and jumping too far, though, is if you decide to change something. Or sometimes, writing too far ahead (say, 10-20 chapters ahead), can stop you from changing things, stop the plot from growing into something bigger.

2) Try to plot out what happens next

If you don't already have a plan, start making one. A lot of people improvise the plot as they write instead of making a plot plan. You don't have to make a plan of where you want your story to go, but it can help if you're stuck.
Just take a piece of paper and write down the last thing that happened in the middle. Then start brainstorming possible things that could happen after. Write anything that comes to mind, no matter how weird it is.
Once you've written all your ideas down, start crossing out the ones you absolutely can't do. Like, if you're twenty chapters into an average, Teen Fic book, you can't just throw in werewolves, they're something you have to set up in advance. You can, however, write a scene where the MC's parents and the MC gets in a fight about something [something plausible, and if possible, something that's been mentioned before], and she's forced to go to a friend's house for the night, or whatever. Try your best to make sure the idea you use advances the plot.

3) Look stuff up

If you can't think of what you want to happen next, Google it. I'm not kidding. I was making stuff up as I went for SaS so whenever I got stuck, I'd go on Google and type in something like 'Fun/Crazy/Weird things for teens to do' or whatever. If you're trying to write a date, but don't know where it should be, or what could happen, you can look up 'Fun date ideas' and draw stuff from there.
This usually only works for normal/everyday scenes, because people usually don't make lists like 'Fun things to do with a vampire while there are demons everywhere' or whatever.

But yeah, if you can't think of anything, or don't what to do during something, Google it.

4) Write other stuff for the book

Write anything you can that's related to the book. It doens't have to be a scene, it can be a character description, a setting, a monologue about love, a character's past, random dialogue, whatever you want. Anything to get you back in the mood of the story. You might not use it, but it might spark your inspiration.
Just forget about what's happening at the moment in your book, and write something completely unrelated. This usually helps if you're writing in First Person, and if you're kind of forgetting how to write you're character's voice. Just write a short paragraph, about anything, using his or her's voice so you can get used to it again. If you're unsure of how to write some characters talking, write a bunch of random dialogue with them, talking about anything, even if it's irrelevant.

5) Re-write

This is a last resort.

If you absolutely cannot write anything, and I mean anything for the book, then you might want to reread it. Check if you're still interested in the book. If you are, check why it's so hard. Did you miss a vital plot point? Is one of your characters acting strange/out of character without you intending to? Is your main character starting to get boring?If it's one of those, then it would probably be best to re-write a chapter or two so that you can get back on track. I know everyone says don't stop to rewrite, especially when you're writing your first draft, but if your story isn't your story anymore, then it's kind of hard to continue.

This is, I repeat, a last resort.

I don't really 'get' Writer's Block a lot, and I don't really believe in it, so I don't know if that was really helpful. They're just kind of the tricks I use while writing, or if I don't know what should happen next.

Next Tip: Fanfictions or Coming up with a plot.
Not sure yet. It might not even be one of those two.

~JJ :)

PS. Keep leaving requests on the second part of this book! I'd love to know what you guys want help on! :)