Chapter 31: So Quiet

!! HEAVILY UNEDITED !!

I went straight home after hanging out at the Pattersons and I thought a lot about what Cole said to me;

'Who Robin really is; is a story that none of us know how to tell,'

I can't stop thinking about what he really meant by that. Did he said that because he truly don't know how to put into words or did he said that just to scare me away?

If it were Freddy, I might've believed him but Cole? I am convinced that Cole knows exactly how I feel about Robin. About his sister. I don't think he would stoop so low to actually stop me from feeling this way for her.

I parked my motorcycle in the garage and went inside through the garage door but what I didn't realize was the very antique and familiar Harley Davidson parked outside of the front porch.

It can't be that, right?

When I finally processed everything and putting two in two, I hastily rushed inside and to say that I was taken aback with the mouth watering smell floating around the living room was an understatement of the century. Mary Anne won't be home until tomorrow morning and Ellen was still at Cali so-

"Think fast!" A voice suddenly yelled from behind me and before I could react or even do anything, a feeling of slight pain was evident on the back of my head and it felt kind of wet and...sticky? I slowly put my hand on my hair and when I pulled it back, it was smudged with yellow stuff.

In other words, egg yolk. This was not happening. Out of the items in the house that she could throw at me, she had to choose a freaking raw egg!

Feeling enraged, I quickly turned around with a scowl on my face only to meet a pair of glinting green eyes and a lazy grin on her god damn pretty face! If I didn't have a major crush on her, I would've so cussed at her right then.

"Robin Shucking Patterson!" I can't believe those words actually rolled off my tongue. Robin chuckled as she held her head back and put her hands on her waist, giving me an unimpressed look.

"The Maze Runner preferences? Really, Jake?" She teased as she slightly tilted her head to the side and casually leaned on the doorframe of the kitchen. A slight pink took over my cheeks and I awkwardly looked away from her alluring, teasing green eyes.

I muttered a silent 'shut up' at her and hoping that she wouldn't hear it but of course, Robin is anything but deaf. She heard me loud and clear by the way she was raising a warning eyebrow at me as if she was challenging me to say anything else. Which I didn't.

"Just what I thought," she said loudly and cockily as she could and I swear that sometimes, she reminds me of myself back when I was in my old school. Now, not so much of a Jerky/Cocky Jake. I'm that guy on occasional terms like when I feel the need to show off and rich brat stuff like that.

Robin turned around and walked back in the kitchen, returning to whatever she was doing before I got here. Which reminds me...

"What are you even doing here?" I asked her, sounded confused and intrigued at the same. Who wouldn't, right? I mean--my mom fired her on her first day at work here and Robin made it clear that she wouldn't want to come back here again. Ever.