TWENTY-TWO (EDITED)

I sit in my living room, eating dinner and watching TV

I sit in my living room, eating dinner and watching TV. It's Sunday night, and I haven't talked to Aaron or Harry since Saturday morning. I met Perrie for coffee this morning, and we walked around Pioneer Square in downtown Portland for awhile. I'm glad I have a friend in Perrie.

I need to make amends with Aaron, but I don't know when I'm going to be able to do that. I've tried calling him twice, but I got voicemail both times.

I'm angry with Harry. He was so rude to me yesterday morning, when the night before we were laughing like idiots over tea at three a.m. I like Harry when he's open like that, it makes me want to know him better and possibly become friends. It seems whenever I think he's actually a decent person, he proves that he's nothing but a jerk.

I've been slightly wary going out alone the past couple days, even though I know I shouldn't be. The two guys that stopped me on the street on Friday still haunt me, but my curiosity burns inside of me like a raging wildfire. Who were they? What does Harry have to do with them? Why were they after me? What did Harry mean when he said he was an "accountant"?

I try to escape from the thousands of questions that pester me, but it's useless. I know if I follow Harry after work again, someone will see and I'll get us both in trouble. If only there was an easier way...

I stop chewing my food. Harry found out a lot about me from my file. Maybe if I can get ahold of his file, I can get some answers. Maybe not about the two guys and the numbers, but maybe about his background.

No, that's insane. Am I really that desperate for information I would consider sneaking into Crystal's office for Harry's file?

Apparently so.

The idea sparks inside of me like a firework. Tomorrow at work I need an excuse to go to Crystal's office and look through his file without being caught. How will I be able to do that?

I've never been very stealthy, and I don't break the rules very often. But I know if I don't get answers soon, I'll explode.

I clean my dishes and text Aaron, asking if he wants to come over. I know he probably won't text back, but I decide that I don't care. If he doesn't want to try to fix this relationship, then so be it.

Surprisingly, I get a text back telling me he'll be here in ten minutes. I quickly buzz around the apartment, cleaning and organizing it. I can't say I'm not nervous. What if Aaron dumps me?

I shouldn't care if he dumps me. And yet, somehow I do.

There's a knock at the door and I swing it open. Aaron shakes rain from his hair and walks inside, sticking his hands into his pockets.

"It's brutal out there," He comments.

I nod as he takes off his jacket, draping it over the couch.

"Can I get you something?" I ask. "Water? Coffee?"

"No, it's fine."

I nod and lean against the back of the couch.

"So..." He starts.

"I'm really sorry," I rush out. "I don't know what came over me and I don't want this to be the end of us."

Aaron sighs and looks out the window. We've never really fought before; this is new to both of us. We're used to everything going smoothly-up until recently, anyway.

"I don't want it to be the end, either," He says and I breathe a sigh of relief. "I guess I was just shocked I found you at Harry's place when you said you hated him."

"I do," I say, trying to convince myself, too. "He was just doing me a favor."

Aaron nods. "All right," He says and I wrap my arms around him, nuzzling my face into his chest. I'm so glad we didn't part ways. Even if Aaron and I have our differences, he gives me a sense of security that I like.

"I just...Aaron, I think you need to think more of me," I say, looking up at him. "I don't think you care about me as much as I care about you."

"I'm sorry, you're right, Rose," He says, nodding.

"Can you pick me up from work tomorrow?" I ask him. I know I must seem like an idiot for asking him, but I should give him a chance to redeem himself, at least.

"Yes," He says. "I promise."

Aaron kisses me and tells me he has to run, he's on call. I try not to appear disappointed as I bid him goodbye. He has an important job to attend to, and I shouldn't complain.

I sit back on the couch. I pay little attention to the TV as I mull over my thoughts. Am I really going to try to get to Harry's file tomorrow? The thought sends excitement and fear through me. Will I be able to do it? Should I?

I go to sleep with traces of Harry's laugh lingering in my mind.