Chapter Eight

Better Than Revenge 

Chapter Eight

When my phone rang as I was doing the dishes, I nearly had a spaz attack, for the billionth time. 

This had been going for the past two days

I was awaiting Nora Harding’s decision. The casting director told me she would call me within two to three days to tell me whether I was cast or not. I knew it was silly, but every single time my phone rang, I would freak out, immediately assuming it was the casting director.

Of course, it was never her, with my luck. It was stupid to hope for that the first day since she said ‘two to three days’ but now, near the end of the second day, I thought I was within my right to have a spaz attack whenever my phone rang. 

I shook my hands off quickly, ridding them of soap and water. I turned clumsily, looking for a towel or something to wipe my hands on. 

“Screw that,” I muttered to myself, wiping my hands on my new green blouse. I didn’t want to ruin it so soon, but I was too focused on answering my phone to care about that at the moment. 

After I did a semi-decent job of wiping my hands off, I took a step towards the kitchen counter, grabbing my phone off of it. 

I guess while I was standing around, looking for a towel, some of the water on my hands dripped onto the floor because I found myself lying flat on the floor a second later. “Ow,” I muttered, rubbing a spot on my leg that was sure to become a nasty bruise later. 

I ignored the bothersome spot and finally answered my phone. I was surprised the person hadn’t hung up already. “Hello?” 

“Hey!” Tori’s voice chirped over the speaker. “Have they called you yet?” 

I sighed in disappointment. I loved Tori to death and loved talking to her, but at that moment, the fact that it was her calling me and not the casting director was very disappointing. “No, they haven’t.” 

“Oh,” she said dejectedly. “Well, don’t worry! I’m sure they’ll call soon!” 

“I hope so,” I said, trying to sit up. 

“Don’t they have to call you anyway, even if it’s just to tell you that you didn’t get cast?” she asked after a moment. 

“Yeah,” I confirmed slowly, not wanting to consider that possibility. I wished she hadn’t brought it up. I didn’t want to think about the possibility of that long awaited phone call being anything but amazing. 

“I’m sure when they call, it’ll be good news, though!” she exclaimed quickly, most likely having caught the tone of my voice. 

“I don’t know,” I breathed out, shaking my head to myself. “I was… well… that audition was pretty out there.” 

“You never did tell me what happened,” she said indicatively. 

I sighed loudly. “I know. I didn’t really want to talk about it, though. I was too busy freaking out.” 

“You want to tell me now?” she prodded innocently. 

I rolled my eyes even though she couldn’t see me. “Oh, alright.” 

“Yay!” she cheered happily. “I’ve been dying to know! I didn’t want to, like, pressure you or anything, but when I saw Ryder running after you when you left the building, and you two started screaming at each other again, I was like, ‘Ohmygosh, what’s happening?! I have to know!’ But then you didn’t want to talk about it so I just dropped it…”