Chapter Ten

After dinner, Regina headed over to get the television to bring over to the house with Henry following her and Emma busying herself cleaning up the kitchen. They had spoken with Henry before dinner about not telling anyone that the sheriff had kissed his mother and of course he wanted to know why and the answer "because" wasn't good enough for him. Emma carefully explained in a way a two-year-old could understand that other people might not like knowing that two women had kissed and he proceeded to say that it was stupid before Regina explained to him in a far better way.

"It's like a secret," she whispered to him. "And you know what to do with a secret, don't you?"

"Put it in pocket and keep it?"

Emma smiled at the way Regina could reach out to Henry on a whole different level, much like a mother would. She placed a hand over her heart when she thought about how it was very possible that Henry would start looking at Regina like his other mother as time passed on by. It was something she hadn't considered when she found out Neal had been killed in battle and that there was the possibility of Henry ever having a second parent again. Henry adored Regina and it hadn't taken him long to embrace her with open arms. Like mother, like son.

Emma dried her hands off on the dishtowel when she heard the front door open and she walked out into the living room in time to see Regina carrying a small television while Henry held the door open for her. Regina placed it on the floor by the window and wiped at her brow with a smile.

"You're going to need a stand for this," she said. "Deputy, you can shut the door now."

"Aye aye, Sheriff," he said, slamming the door shut while saluting her.

"Henry, please don't slam the door again," Emma said as she scooped him up from the floor.

"Okay, Mama."

"I have an end table in my room we can use," Emma said to Regina. "It's big enough for the television until I can pick up a stand for it."

"Do you want me to—"

"It's the dark brown one. It is in the corner beside the dresser," Emma replied and Regina went off to her bedroom and Emma shifted Henry in her arms until he was comfortably on her hip. "Are we going to have to call you Deputy forever?"

"No," he giggled. "I like it."

"Better than Henry?"

"Gina's daddy's name is Henry too!"

"Is it really?" Emma asked in surprise. "Did she tell you that?"

"Yep."

Emma smiled and kissed the side of his forehead as Regina came out of the bedroom carrying in the dark wood end table. She placed it by the window in front of the plug in the wall and she picked the television up and carefully set it down on top before plugging it in. She turned it on and fiddled with the rabbit ears on top until the fuzzy picture became clear. The local news station in Portland was on the air and Emma set Henry down on his feet and he ran over and plopped himself down about two feet in front of the television and stared up at it in awe.

Regina walked over to where Emma was still standing and she gently took her hand in her own and led her over to the couch. She sat down first and instead of pulling Emma down beside her she pulled her down on to her lap and wrapped her arms around her while placing a kiss to her shoulder. Emma shifted on her lap and turned her head to face her with a smile.

"Thank you," Emma whispered. "You have no idea what this means to Henry."

"I have an idea," Regina chuckled quietly. "And you're welcome, Emma."