Chapter Twenty-Four

Emma had always loved Halloween even if the nuns at the orphanage never allowed them to participate like other normal kids did. She remembered the one year, she had just turned twelve, and she along with a few other girls had snuck out of the orphanage after dinner just so they could get out and see everyone dressed up for Halloween. It was a sight unlike any other and even after the years had passed, Emma was still fascinated by it all.

After they had taken Henry trick-or-treating and dropped him off at Johanna's house, she and Regina had gone back home to get ready for the masquerade ball. For days Regina wouldn't tell her what she was dressing up as nor would she show her the masks she bought for both of them. The only thing she had told her was that the masks were deep purple and she should wear something to match. That in turn had her going with Ruby, driving to Portland to a costume shop there to pick their outfits for the masquerade ball.

Emma stood in the middle of the bedroom, twirling in her black princess style dress and she paused to look at herself in the mirror, smiling as she ran her fingers over the deep purple sash that was tied around her waist. She pulled open the bedroom door, half expecting to see Regina there since she had gone next door to get ready for the masquerade ball, but she was filled with disappointment when she found she was alone in the house and yet, taped to the front door was a single red rose and the deep purple mask that would conceal only around her eyes.

She pulled the mask off the door and a folded note fell to the floor. She picked it up and unfolded it, smiling to herself at the words that were written: I eagerly wait for your arrival to the ball, my love – R. She pulled the rose from the door and gave it a sniff, jumping when someone on the other side chose that moment to knock—and loudly at that—on the front door. Emma opened the door with a trembling hand, one that shot out and slapped Ruby across her shoulder when she saw her standing there with a dopey grin curled over her lips.

"Wow, Em, you look so good!" Ruby laughed as she took in the sight of Emma in her dress.

"You saw me try it on yesterday before I bought it."

"Yeah, but with your hair done up and—holy shit are you wearing makeup?" Ruby asked, turning Emma towards the porch light to get a better look at her. "Regina is so going to lose it."

"Lost what?"

"It!" Ruby said with a roll of her eyes and at Emma's clueless stare, she shook her head. "Regina is going to lose her mind because you look amazing tonight, Em."

"Wait," Emma said and she looked down at where Ruby parked her car and noticed that Regina's was noticeably missing from where it was parked earlier in her driveway. "Why are you here?"

"Regina asked me to come and get you," Ruby replied. "Em, the only way you two can be together out in the open tonight is if nobody knows who you are."

"And if we arrive together, people might know that we're, well, us?"

"Yes, exactly!"

"I'm not following."

"Grab your coat and your keys, Em, because trust me, it will all make sense soon enough."

The annual Halloween Masquerade Ball was being held in the gym at the elementary school and the parking lot was packed and so was the street in front of the school with vehicles. Ruby let Emma out near the front door, promising she'd be in as soon as she found a spot to park her car. Emma headed inside, donning the deep purple mask before she did. She was ushered inside by two men dressed in tuxedos and white masks that covered their entire faces and after checking her coat and small purse into a classroom that was being used as a coat room, she found her way down the hall to the dimly lit gym where a small band played on the stage and people mingled about, some chatting, some dancing, but mostly just mingling.