Chapter 5: The World Moves

Sample Only

Published on Amazon as ebook or paperback.

Walking Among Vampires by K. A. Young.

If you don't have a Kindle and can't purchase the book off Amazon, you are more than welcome to join my Patreon page and receive downloadable PDFs under the Beta Tier.

Please click on the link on my bio.

https://www.patreon.com/SerenityR0se 

Nova

Horrible, it was just horrible. How could anyone like to watch TV? I guess the vampires liked to show the death of humans on a small mirror of light. Korbyn had led me away from this terrible device, offering me a seat in the front room near where we had entered from the back of his mansion.

"I'm sorry, butterfly," Korbyn's voice startled me, placing both of my hands on the soft cushions beside my thighs. "Bronwyn...she's more like my parents and enjoys playing games with vampires. Well, and now that you are here, I guess she's taken a liking to show you the darker side of our species."

The little princess played a cruel joke on me. I don't like her very much to be honest. Korbyn, however, seems genuinely nice almost somewhat...human? I knew that couldn't possibly be true. He's a vampire and the only reason he doesn't want to kill me...is because he's never met someone like me before.

What if he grows bored with me?! My fear began to rise, my heart starting to beat just slightly faster than normal, my palms starting to sweat. Will he kill me then?

"Butterfly?" Korbyn asked cautiously, the right arm he had resting on the top of the opposite couch removed itself, pushing down on the couch and rising to his feet. He edged around the glass table, lowering himself next to me and causing me to involuntarily scoot away from him. "What is it about me that scares you?"

What?

Pulling my hands into my lap and absentmindedly picking at a stray thread from my jeans, I lowered my face away from him. "You could kill me."

"Any being could kill another," Korbyn's voice sent chills down my spine.

Hesitating for a moment, I brought my eyes up to take a quick glance into his sapphire pools and whispered, "I'm living on borrowed time. You should have killed me, but you didn't. I'm afraid of what will happen to me."

"I won't kill you," Korbyn returned, only slightly easing my racing mind, questions burning to be asked and wondering if he held the answers. I had often asked my parents about many different things in this world, but the refused to enlighten me, even what I would assume was something so simple, turned into a long disagreement.

"C-can I ask you something?" I ran my palms over my jeans, trying to get rid of the sweat that had collected in my palms, my face starting to burn.

Korbyn didn't hesitate, "Isn't that why you came back? You're just as fascinated with vampires as I am with humans. By all means, I'll answer whatever I can."

"Why do you hate humans?" I thought that was just too broad of a topic, Korbyn specifically not hating my species, so I narrowed it down, "W-why do vampires hate humans? Is it because we are weak? Did we do something? Why kill us?"

Korbyn paused for a moment, thoughtfully rubbing his chin as he began to explain, "Nova, I think it would be hard to explain to you at the very moment in time. You need to understand the world around you a little better before I answer that particular question."