Chapter Twenty-Eight: More Than an Impulse

– Terra –

– Terra –

Abby was the first to leave the exam hall almost an hour early. This could either mean it was really easy or really difficult for her. For some reasons, I'm betting on the latter.

By the time I turned in my paper, the room was already half empty and there was only fifteen minutes left. I make a final short prayer of blessing before I exit the hall, immediately bursting into my post-exam dance (The Sprinkler combined with an inaccurate version of The Macarena).

"What are you doing?" Abby interrupts me.

I make the same mistake every time by forgetting to make sure no one is looking.

"How was the test?" I avoid her question.

"It was okay." She shrugs, then her eyes widen. "Oh right, you need to hear this. Did you know that James is in the infirmary?"

"What?" I goggle.

"Yeah, apparently he got punched by someone, and it was pretty ugly." Abby winces. "He refused to give details though, maybe he was threatened or something."

"No, judging by his character, he just has too much pride to admit who one-upped him." I snicker.

"Oh, that does sound more accurate." She nods slowly. "Well, good for him, now we have more reasons to celebrate!"

Abby starts hooting as she solo parades down the empty stretch of hallway, making a direct sprint towards the exit. I try to keep up, but part of my energy is sapped from uncontrollable laughter.

James got punched by someone, in the face. I can't ask for a better cherry to top the cake right now.

I'm almost out of breath by the time we're outside, but I'm not even done laughing. I wipe a tear off my eye and Abby joins me, clearly sharing the same vengeful joy.

When I came clean to Abby, I knew that I've made a mistake. The mistake wasn't for telling her, it was hiding it from her for so long. I was too consumed by the fear of being judged that I undermined her capability of being the kind of friend that she is, the kind that I needed and still need.

I didn't think about the day whereby Abby and I would be laughing like this together over the misfortune of the person I loathe with passion. It wasn't even severe, but it made me happy. This moment only made me wish I had told her sooner, but it also makes me feel grateful for having her in my life.

"Ah, sweet, sweet revenge." I sigh while we try to calm down.

"Oh look, it's Luke and Zach!" Abby points out, her cheeks still flushed red from laughing. She waves her hand vigorously in the air, trying to get their attention. Luke spots her first and starts leaping towards us animatedly.

"You two look happy." Luke says when the four of us gather.

"Oh my God, we have to tell them." Abby says, starting to giggle again.