Chapter 25 - Endings

Thomas smiled and shot you a wink. You rolled your eyes but couldn't keep the shy smile from your face. Under his gaze, you struggled to stand comfortably in front of the rows of flower arrangements. You'd never gotten this kind of attention from anyone. 

"Are you feeling better today?" he asked, opening up the cash register to start the day with an array of bills. 

You'd been feeling under the weather recently, but you weren't sure why or even what you felt. There was a weird buzzing feeling in your head and you'd been seeing things. Other than that, you felt fine. So what was wrong? You didn't have a clue. 

"I guess," you said. "I really feel fine, but I still have those weird symptoms." 

"Hm," he mused, shuffling the money, "That's weird. I wonder what it is, y'know?" 

"Maybe just anxiety or something," you said, trying to brush it off. You glanced at him as you finished threading a flower into the last arrangement. It was almost time for the shop to open. 

"Well, if you wanna talk about anything, I'm here, y'know," Thomas assured. 

You smiled at him, thinking about how he'd been the first to welcome you in this place that seemed like a completely different planet. At nineteen, he was three years your elder, but he didn't seem to be any older than you. Instead, he acted as if he'd been your friend for years. 

"Thomas? (Y/N)?" someone was saying. 

You turned around to see your manager, and elderly lady who had owned the flower shop since her mother had given it to her. 

"Are you ready to open the shop?" She smiled warmly at the two of you. 

The two of you nodded, giving each other glances to reassure each other. 

"I need to get some Christmas stopping done, so I'll be back around closing." She left the shop then, turning the Sorry, We're Closed sign to Open! as she went. You hopped up on the counter and picked up a stray flower, twirling it in your fingers. Your eyes wandered to the door again, where a shadow was flying through the crack. 

You touched Thomas's shoulder and nodded in the direction of it. "Do you see that?" 

He frowned. "See what?" 

"The shadow. At the door." 

He shook his head. "No." 

You turned to him, keeping an eye on the shadow as it flitted across the walls. "I swear to you, Thomas, I'm not crazy. I know what I'm seeing. You have to believe in me." 

He met your eyes and nodded. "I do. I know there are things out there, (Y/N), things that most people don't believe in. Beautiful things and horrifying things, y'know? I believe it more than anything." 

"Why would I be seeing things like them though?" 

He gazed at you. "Maybe you're special." 

You tore your arm from Pitch's grasp and backed away from him, stumbling as you went. You stepped through the doorway and he grabbed you again. You formed a ball of electricity, and he yelled as it dug into his skin. Grey sand began to fall from his arm where you'd touched him. 

You opened your wings and jumped into the air. The darkness from Pitch's touch began to spread, stretching down to your fingers and up to your shoulder. In continued to move onto your skin, and the light in your hands began to jump wildly from your grasp.