Broken Wings

Past few months has been great for First Order's business. Conquering a few more systems gave Hux a significant boost to his career. Snoke is pleased, rebels terrified. The only thing missing is weakening position of the Knights of Ren. However, accomplishing this might appear... problematic. They have Snoke's personal support, since Supreme Leader is a force user himself. Hux shakes this thought off his head. Doesn't matter. He needs to go with the punch.

"General" the sound of your voice snaps him out of trance. It's a middle of the day, people buzzing around, working. You take a few steps forward, walking up to him on the bridge. "The report you've been asking about. There's a problem, we've got a small delay. It'll be delivered to you tomorrow morning." Hux frowns, although not at the delay. Something distressing flickers on the back of his head. Something about you. You used to always look him in the eye, brush his hand with yours when passing by, come to his quarters late at night to let him fall asleep on your chest. When did this stop? He can't tell. But you are still his. Everything can be brought back, right?

"Hurry up. The report is highly needed." General walks closer to you and whispers "come to me tonight."

"I'm busy. Maybe if I find a minute" you answer. Hux's world stopped for a second. He's a people person, unlike Ren, doesn't need the force to tell one's feelings. Your words are no joke. Since when does he need to get appointed in your calendar? Ignoring everything, ginger man just walks off the bridge and heads to his office.

General's quarters are dusky. The only light comes from one lamp in the 'kitchen'. Hux approaches you right away and kisses your lips. Doesn't feeling you kissing back, he breaks the kiss, his hands close around your waist. "What is wrong with you?" asks irritated ginger.

"What's wrong with me? Nothing" you answer emotionlessly. "What is wrong with you is a much bigger concern." He squints his eyes, trying to understand what does that mean, but you do not give him much time and continue. "How you've been treating me lately, to be more precise."

"Don't tell me, you didn't know the rules" he gives you a cold look.

"Oh, I do know the rules. What are you taking me for? An idiot? First goes the Order, then you and me. I prefer it that way. The thing is" you break free from his grip "lately, there've been the First Order, then hate towards that Idiot of Ren, then every your stupid employee. And I am nothing." Your eyes sparkle with fury. "As far as I recall, I'm supposed to have the second place but I have none."

Hux realises that everything you said is true, "don't be ridiculous" yet he chooses to play it off.

'That's it? He'll just deny everything, won't he?' you think to yourself. The string of patience, so strung lately, finally breaks. You expect to drown in fury but nothing happens. You burned out before you even got a chance to get mad. A pair of arms close around you from behind when you prepare to leave.

"Stay" general whispers into your ear.

You feel nothing as he kisses your neck. "I won't have you playing with me like this" you free yourself once again and proceed to the door.

"I'm sorry" his voice is quiet, words almost disappear before reaching your ears. You turn your head back at him, unsure whether stubborn general finally swallowed his pride.

"Excuse me, didn't hear you. What did you say?"

Hux clears his throat and says "I said, stay."

A little spark of hope, born a very second ago, faded immediately. 'Of course.' You leave without a word.

As the door close behind your back, Hux's face go red out of anger. His datapad beeps. 'The report.' He throws the device across the room. It smashes into pieces. "Argh, FUCK!" General slips down on the floor, back against the wall. He brushes his hand through the fiery hair, reluctantly cursing himself, thinking about the next move. Everything seems so shallow now, without you on his side. Hux remains like this for hours, staring blankly into the void of his bedroom.