Chapter 174.

Eleven days.

It has been eleven days since I have heard from Hardin and each second certainly hurts much less than the last. Zed's company has surely helped.

Tonight is the dinner party at Christian's and I am afraid that being around the familiar faces that will surely remind me of Hardin will knock at the walls that been building. All it will take is one small crack and I will no longer be protected.

I have less than fifteen minutes to get myself dressed for the party. My hair is the same way it always is, down and curled in loose waves but my makeup is darker than usual. I slide my bracelet over my wrist even though I know I shouldn't be wearing it, I feel naked without it. It is such a part of me now, the way he is.. was.

The dress looks even better today than yesterday and I'm grateful that I have gained the few pounds back that I lost during the first few days of barely eating.

 "I just want it back the way it was before and I just want to see you back at my front door."  The music plays as I grab my small clutch purse and pull the buds out of my ear to place them inside.

When I met Karen and Ken downstairs they are dressed to a tee. Karen is in a long blue and white patterned gown and Ken is wearing a suit and tie.

"You look so lovely." I smile at Karen and her cheeks flush.

"Thank you dear, so do you." She beams.

She is so sweet. I am going to miss seeing them this often when I leave but I can't stay here forever, I have to find an apartment on my own.

"I was thinking that sometime this week we could go out to the greenhouse and work a little?" She asks me as we walk to the car, my nude heels clank loudly on the concrete driveway.

"I would love to." I tell her and climb in the backseat of their Volvo.

"This party will be so much fun, we haven't been to a party like this in a while." Karen takes Ken's hand into hers and places it on her lap as he pulls out of the driveway.

Their affection doesn't make me envious, it reminds me that people can actually be good to one another.

"Landon will be home from New York late tonight, I will be picking him up at two a.m." Karen says.

"I can't wait for him to be back." I say and mean it.

I have missed my best friend, his words of wisdom and his warm smile.

"Me either, I will miss him when he moves." His mother says and I nod in agreement.

Christian Vance's house is exactly how I had imagined it would be. It's an extremely modern house, the entire home is nearly transparent, beams and glass appear to be the only thing securing the house on the hill.  Every decoration and detail are styled into the perfect theme throughout the entire space inside, it reminds me of a museum in a way because nothing looks like it's even been touched before.

"Thank you guys so much for coming." Kimberly smiles and pulls me into her arms.

"Thank you for inviting us. Congratulations on Seattle." Ken shakes Christian's hand.

I lose my breath at the sight of the water just out the back windows. Now I understand why most of the house is glass. The house sits on a large lake, the water seems endless and the sun is setting at the moment, making it even more breathtaking as the reflection shines on top of the lake, nearly blinding me. The fact that the house itself is on a hill and the yard is slightly sloped gives the appearance that the house is floating on top of the water.