Part 36: Not Him

"Eve, wake up," Xander hissed.

I picked my head up and looked around sleepily, "Where am I?"

"School, Mr. Duncan's class," he said.

I dropped my head back down on my desk and groaned. I hadn't slept at all last night. I was too busy worrying about how angry Ryker was at me and what he was planning to do with me. I'd stayed up all night just in case he tried something.

I was suddenly wide awake when I started thinking about last night and what Ryker had been about to say in his sleep when I was trying to get the marker. I'd cut him off so he couldn't finish.

Because I was pretty sure it was my name he was about to say at the end of that sentence.

"Oh shit, X-" I began to tell him about it.

Ryker's head whipped around from his desk and glared at me. I visibly jumped in my seat as his eyes electrified. My usual seat had been taken today, so Xander and I had to sit somewhere else and the only open seats next to each other happened to be right behind Ryker. Ugh.

His hair was done a little differently than usual, more off to the side to cover up the tattoo on his forehead. He was also wearing a black, long sleeved shirt to cover the one on his wrist. Damn, I'd wanted other people to see my creations.

Ryker turned around in his desk and rested his elbows on my desk. He rested his chin on his hands that he had folded together a couple inches off the desk.

"You look gross," he said.

Yeah, and it was his fault I looked like this. I was scared all night.

I leaned forward on my elbows and lowered my face so it was level with his.

"You-"

My desk was shoved to the side and tipped over onto the floor, spilling me out of it. I landed on my broken arm and yelped out in pain. My arm flared as a burning sensation coursed through the broken bone.

"Eve, shit! Are you alright?" Xander asked, shoving his face in front of my vision.

I rolled over onto my back, cradling my arm against my chest. With my other arm, I covered my face so no one could see me crying. It hurt so bad I thought I was going to pass out.

"What the hell was that for, Hannah!" Xander yelled, face getting red.

I squeezed my eyes shut to try and ease the pain. It didn't work.

Arms wrapped around my body and I was lifted off the ground. I kept my arm over my face as I mumbled, "I can walk, X."

"Shut up."

That wasn't Xander.

I removed my arm from my face and opened my eyes. Ryker stared straight ahead as he shoved through the crowd of students who had surrounded themselves around me when I had been knocked over.

"Put me down," I protested.

He ignored me and kept walking. He didn't stop until he had laid me down on a futon in the nurse's office. Then he left without a word.

The nurse turned to me. She had mousy orange hair and glasses that seemed much too small. Her blue scrubs hung off of her skinny frame.

"What happened?" She drawled as if she couldn't be bothered.

"Uh, I was shoved onto my broken arm and I felt something pop," I explained.

The nurse rolled over in her wheely chair until she was sitting next to the futon I was laying on. She gently picked up my broken arm and slowly stretched it out. I winced and she stopped.