Chapter 17 - She's On The Hunt

And just out of curiosity - how many aussies are reading this? =)

~ ~ Chapter Seventeen ~ ~

“Eva! Phone!” Stevie screamed from somewhere upstairs and I raised an eyebrow, wondering who on earth would be ringing me since everyone I know is in this big house anyway – well, everyone I like at this given moment in time.

Groaning to myself as I stood up from the deck chair, I glanced back at the last rays of the suns beautiful entrance to the start of this day and sighed softly. I had spent most of yesterday sleeping and as a result for that – I was up before the sun.

Walking in through the back sliding door and down the short hallway, I figured I would just use the house phone in the kitchen, but as I passed dad’s office doors, he called out and I made a turn to go and see what he wanted.

“What’s up pops?” I greeted cheerily, smirking as he cringed at the word ‘pops’.

“Grandfather or Grandad Eva, how many times do I need to repeat this?” he muttered with agitation as he nodded at the big brown leather seat alongside his next with his house phone on the corner of the desk in front of it.

“And how many times do I need to say that pops is so much cooler?” I argued back lightly as I sat down and looked back over at him, grinning a little, “You do want to be cool, right?”

Dad pulled a face as he motioned towards the phone with one hand, “Just take your phone call Evangeline.”

Cringing at the use of my full name, “Whatever you say....pops,” and I grinned again as I watched him cringe this time.

Picking up the phone and holding it to my ear as I leant back in the chair, still grinning at dad as I spoke,“Argh me hearties, ‘tis Captain Eva speakin’,” I stifled a laugh at dad’s horrified face as he snapped his head up and looked in my direction.

“What on earth is wrong with you?” he asked; shock clear in his voice and on his face.

“I'm ye Captain Feather sword Eva, ‘ere to steal ye gold and take your wenches for me slaves,” and I rocked one arm with a clenched fist like the pirates do in the movies. I'm bored, what do you expect and I was watching some pirate movie the other day since I still am not allowed at school and it’s been over a week since Travis brought that stupid rule into play.

“Eva.”

My grin dropped instantly and all playfulness ran away, packing its bags and screaming ‘bring anger back’ as the world around me seemed to stop in time, if only for a few minutes, but it was enough for me to compose myself, to shut my inner wolves darn mouth up and to not let him get to me.

“Alpha Redford,” I greeted him coolly, ignoring dads worried, but hopeful looks he was giving me, “Long time, no see. So tell me, how are things holding up at your end?” I asked sarcastically and not really wanting or expecting an answer.

He scoffed loudly, “Alpha Redford my butt Eva, I'm still your mate,” he growled lowly and my eyes narrowed instantly.

Why is it that he doesn’t even sound weaker than what he should be? He still sounds like the same old strong minded, stubborn and cocky gorilla we all know him to be.

“Ex-mate,” I smirked, “I dumped your furry butt.”

“What! Mates don’t break up – ever! Unless its death,” he half shouted and I could hear him taking slow and deep breathes on the other end of the line, which only made my smile grow wider since I knew I was getting to him.