𝙖 𝙧𝙚𝙢𝙚𝙢𝙗𝙧𝙖𝙣𝙘𝙚 ━━ 𝘷𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘦𝘧𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘴

▬▬  a remembrance, variations of the fireflies

"AND SHE, THINE MAIDEN, WILL BE THE QUEEN."

Your face flustered, a notable frown twitched on your eyebrows. You clenched your hands in your lap and curtly turned around, not venturing another word and not daring to gaze upon them, either, for you knew they were studying you, perhaps taking delight in how the words would flatter you. But you did not. Not in the least.

How could he say such things? The queen? You?

Then it left you the conclusion that he, Isostress, was the ruler of this kingdom.

You stood silent, still trying to get away from here. Be it a king or not, you refused to be someone's authority.

Not that too long later, you heard dull clatters of footsteps on the concrete ground and peered out. You were quick to recognize the man making your way. As if you were greeting an old friend, you stepped out, feeling hopeful and waving to him. It was your road companion, Tengen.

You didn't speak, nonetheless, presumptuous of Mykerinos to recognize your voice.

"Thine words," Tengen uttered in relief, "I'm glad that I found thee, young lass."

You immediately went behind Tengen. You wanted to invite him to leave already, but you were interrupted by a man called Isostress. You sighed in aggravation, but he only smiled at both of you, obviously unaware of your vexation.

"Greetings," he spoke to the elder man, "Thou art with thine maiden?"

The elderly was amiable to respond, "Yes. Thine maiden is a road companion. Thy name Tengen, a guardian of hers."