Chapter 43- Everything Will Be Okay

My eye's fluttered open and I took a deep breath. It was if I hadn't breathed forever, my lungs felt like they were gasping for air.

"Mariah just take a deep breath okay?" A strong voice said, I recognized it instantly. I looked over at Hershel, he looked down at me, a small, comforting smile on his face.

I breathed like he told me, taking in deep breaths, trying to steady my breathing. "How do you feel?" Hershel asked me gently. I sat up a tiny bit so I wasn't staring at the ceiling but instead staring at Hershel.

"What, what happened?" I asked, my voice sounding raspy and dry.

"You were shot in the leg by Carol. It only grazed you, but you blacked out from blood loss. You haven't eaten in a while and your blood sugar was too low to keep you conscious." He said softly.

Memories started to flutter back from the herds of walkers. "Was anyone hurt?" I asked Hershel.

He shook his head. "No, just you." He said sadly. I nodded and sat up a little more.

"What about my leg? When can I walk?" I asked curiously.

"Well, the bullet only grazed you. But it left a nasty wound. However, it will take days, for it to heal." He said calmly.

I sighed and rubbed my forehead. I never should have let Carol shoot, I should have just told her to wait in the RV.

"What am I suppose to do in the mean time Hershel? Lay in bed?" I asked him irritatedly.

He let out a small laugh and sat down on the bed. "I already know you won't lay in bed. When you're ready, and when I think you're ready you can walk, with a cane or a crutch." He said sweetly.

I rubbed my face and looked down at the blanket. Why me, Why did this have to happen to me?

"Thank's Hershel, for everything." I said nicely. He nodded and stood up, he walked towards the door and opened it quickly.

"Do you need some rest or would you like to talk to some people?" He asked me politely.

"I'll talk to some people." I said quietly.

He nodded and disappeared out the door, shutting it gently behind him. I sighed and sat up further in the bed. I pulled the blankets off me to look at my leg. I had a ton of gauze wrapped around my leg, just below the knee cap.

I scowled and pulled the blanket back over top of myself. I was angry at myself, angry for letting Carol use a weapon. I should have known better than that. The door opened quickly and Rick walked through, a small smile on his face.

"How are you feeling?" He asked softly.

"Fine, Rick let's get down to business. What's happened and how long have I been out for?" I asked.

He looked surprised for a moment then sighed, walking to the chair beside me. "You've been out for only a day, don't worry." He said.

I nodded and waited for him to continue. "Carl's alright, Ryan and Otis got the stuff he needed. However Otis died, Ryan said the walkers got him." He added solemnly.

I frowned and looked down at the bed. Poor Otis, he was so sweet even if he was a little rough around the edges.

"What else happened?" I whispered.

"We haven't found Sophia yet, we've been looking non stop though." He said sadly.

I looked up at him. "What did Hershel say about the whole Sophia thing?" I asked him.

"Well, as soon as Carl's healed up and we've found Sophia, Hershel wants us out." He said sadly.

"What? What do you mean Hershel wants us out?" I yelled at him.