Chapter Five

+++++

Chapter Five

I jolted awake, my arms flailing around my sweaty body as a gasp escaped my lips. I clutched onto my sheets, my knuckles turning a white as I fought to control my breathing.

Have you ever been sleeping, and then your stomach suddenly drops and you feel as if you're falling?

From the time it happens, and till you realize that nothing actually happened, you are being suffocated in a state of helplessness.

Tangling my hands into my hair, I pulled my knees to my chest, trying to find a way to successfully calm down. I glanced at my alarm clock, noticing that it was only six in the morning. My eyes trailed around my room and at my pair of shoes that were at the end of my bed.

The memories from the night before flooded into my mind, and my stomach twisted into millions of tiny knots. Images of Sebastian King flashed through my mind, and I shook my head violently, trying to forget about everything that had occurred.

The fact that three men were killed, and that I had to witness the deaths of two of them, made me sick.

But then again, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was filled with when I remembered the way he protected me, how he took three lives for me, not to mention the way he tucked me in to bed.

Evelyn Claire, you better stop with this nonsense this minute, I told myself. You're looking much too into this! Sebastian is a ruthless, awful person, who is nothing but a monster.

What was the feeling that I was having so much trouble forgetting, you may ask? It was one that I rarely felt, and although it was simply just a spark of it, it bothered me to no end.

Compassion.

It was the smallest amount of compassion that was putting me on edge, worrying me to no end.

I never felt that way.

The sound of movement from downstairs made me come to the realization of what was happening today. In less than an hour, my brother and all that I've ever know will be leaving me-

Leaving me in the care of the most dangerous gang in London.

Exhaling in annoyance, I pulled myself out of bed; throwing on whatever outfit I had left behind. I ran my hand through my tangled hair, and began carrying my suitcase downstairs.

"I heard you kicked serious ass." My head snapped to the right, and I found a smile forming on my face when I saw Nate leaning against the wall. The living room was now barren, and I couldn't help but feel slightly saddened by the sight. Memories from when Danny and I first moved in filled my mind. I was only thirteen when I first moved into my new house, a year after my parent's death.

"That I did," I told Nate, setting my suitcase at the end of the stairs. We both stood in silence, taking in the emptiness of the house.

"You know," Nate began, "we might be able to move back someday." There was hope tainting his voice, it showed in his eyes too.

"I know," I finally said, "Sebastian told me."

A small smile lit up Nate's face at the sound of Sebastian's name, confusing me to no end.

"Why are you smiling like that?" I snapped, crossing my arms angrily.

He laughed and smiled even more. "Oh so Sebastian and you now have little talks together?" He raised his brow up, insinuating the worst.