١٠: CARN

Carn washed his hands in a shallow pond. He made sure to leave the Head Son alive as instructed by Horwedja. Though, Carn took the opportunity to wipe the Head Son's memory to avoid anymore implications with the dogs. 

     Killing should have bothered him, it wasn't a natural instinct to him. But with Horwedja's encouragement, Carn was at peace with his actions. With his guidance, Carn felt unstoppable. His next priority would be Ziara and with Horwedja's help, not even the Sons of Anubis could stop him.    

      Patting down the pocket of his shorts, he took out his wallet. Carn pulled a photo-booth arcade reel from the notes flap and sighed. It was an assortment of Ziara and their two other colleagues at work, Den and Shane. How Den somehow managed to pull off a Cleopatra wig in the last photo, Carn still had no idea. 

          Carn wondered if Den and Shane figured he was missing or if they cared. His fingers brushed over Ziara's features in the photo, perfectly capturing her eternal laughter and smile. In the reflection of the film, Carn noticed a flash above him. 

      The soft disturbance of leaves alerted his senses. 

       "State your business, mutt!"

       Instinctively, Carn acted before his brain could process. Swatting the arrow to the side, Carn shoved the bow into the intruders chest and threw him to the ground. Pouncing, Carn then straddled the man and gave one harsh punch to the face, smirking at the sound of the bone breaking in the man's nose. 

      "Think again," Carn snarled, noting the faint echo of Horwedja's laughter in his mind. 

         Another crackle echoed and the shrub near by burst into flames, illuminating the area. The man tried to move his mouth to avoid the blood seeping between his lips. He bared a striking resemblance to Carn―strong jaw, sturdy nose and unnaturally bright green eyes. The closer Carn looked, he could've sworn that half of the busts in Egypt could've been an exact match to the man's features. 

        "If not, why lurk near their den?" he spat. 

         "Could ask you the same question," Carn pressed more of his weight onto the man's chest. 

         He grimaced, "I am hunting." 

        "For what?" Carn raised his fist again. "I've had enough trouble with Sons to last me to Aaru." 

         "Our saviour," his head tilted to the crackling bush. The flames took form of a falcon which beat its wings against the marsh, igniting more stray branches. "We were led here. . .to you. What is my Ren?" 

          Carn narrowed his eyes at the fiery bird and then back to the man. His features gained more clarity. He wore an embroidered wig, braided with beads of lapis and carnelian. His green eyes were framed with a light dusting of pigment attributing to a potential former life as a prince. Was this Horus incarnate? 

        Before he knew it, Carn's mouth opened, "Nekheny.

         "So the whispers in the wind were true, the Uniter informed us that another would warm the throne at Edfu once more," his muscles relaxed with a chuckle. "My name is Hatem." 

         "Carn," he nodded, easing off Hatem's chest. "I. . .uh, sorry about your nose." 

      "The fault is mine," Hatem wiped away some of the blood before whistling up towards the palm canopy, "Hotep, Hoi!"

     Two men appeared like a flicker in front of the flames. The taller one wore the same royal blue kilt as Hatem while the other was draped in white linen, embellished like a priest.