Chapter 2: The Graeae

NOTICE: I'm warning you ahead of time that these updates might be slower and less frequent, because honestly, my top priorities at the moment are school and getting "Into the Woods" published somehow (Exciting, I know). That being said, if I don't post a new chapter in more than two weeks or so, please feel free to send me a polite message to nag me about it, and I will try to hurry up. Thanks.

Also, note that there will be a title change for "Into the Woods" due to publishing reasons, but eventually I will let you know what it is and when it will happen. Here are a few options I'm considering (please place your votes in the comments below based on which one you think best encompasses the entire book):

- The Dark Ages of the Forest Gods

- The Not-So-Golden Age of the Forest Gods (taken from the last page of Ch12, but again, that line can be changed to "Dark Ages" if you prefer)

- Athena Rising

- In Defense of the Right

- Defending the Woods (or the Forest. Either works.)

---------------------------------------------------

Jace's POV:

"So, Jason wants us to go straight back to base camp?" Brady clarified in English, raising his eyebrows in confusion, and I nodded. "But what about the package we were supposed to pick up?"

I shrugged and informed him, "He didn't say. I'm guessing it will be sent ahead to camp, or someone will give it to us at the airport. I think Jason's arranging our flight as we speak."

"Who's Jason?" Layna cut in from beside Brady, cocking her head sideways. I had almost forgotten that she didn't know anything about the Knowing, and that she didn't even know what having the Sight really meant. Therefore, Brady and I would have to start explaining from the very beginning. So, we did.

"Okay, I'm assuming by now you've figured out that the Greek myths are true," I began slowly, and Layna nodded reluctantly.

"I stayed in school long enough to learn a little mythology, but does this mean that the gods are real too? I've only seen monsters before," she questioned rapidly. "And what about the Underworld or Mount Olympus? How do you get to those places?"

Brady immediately threw his hands into the air. "Whoa, slow down for a minute," he said seriously. "Why on Earth would you need to go to the Underworld? No one is supposed to go down there. It's crazy dangerous."

Layna shrugged and crossed her arms. "I was just wondering," she replied stiffly, but I was betting there was more to her story. However, I would have to wait until another time to ask her about it.

"Anyway, the gods are real, but I bet they're not exactly what you imagined," I informed her. "First of all, they're not immortal. They're reincarnations in the form of humans, but they still have all the awesome powers. A new generation was reborn about seven months ago because the last just died - but that's another story. Each generation is reborn in a new location anywhere in the world, so no one knows where the gods are at the moment. And we probably won't know for years."

"Okay, but none of this tells me who Jason is," Layna stated impatiently. "Just get to the point."

"Hey, calm down. He's getting to that part. Besides, you're the one who asked about the gods in the first place," Brady cut in accusingly, pausing to smooth down his sandy blonde hair, and Layna rolled her eyes.