Chapter 3: Grounded

"Welcome back Sungjee. Tell me. How did things go after your first kiss?"

I sat up in my usual chair and continued with my story. "After the kiss, things went back to normal. We were only 8 after all. He was the best friend I ever had and nothing could make anything awkward between us. Soon we were sleeping over at each other's houses every Friday night. It was kind of our thing. We would play video games, watch movies, camp outside and watch the stars, eat piles of junk food. That summer after I got my skateboard, we taught each other how to skate. He got his own one soon after and we skated to and from school as often as possible. We even just cruised for fun, sharing headphones and just enjoying each others company.

We were about ten when we had a speed contest. I was in the lead on my skateboard and he was about 15 feet behind. I was always a better skater than him but he vowed to beat me one day. However this time, I turned back to see how far behind he was and my skateboard got caught up on a crack and I wiped out. It was nothing major. I just kinda fell face forward and scraped my thigh and my arm.

Yugyeom ran to me immediately and lifted me in his arms. He was pretty strong for a ten year old. He placed me on his skateboard so I was sitting on it. He grabbed my board and he started pushing me down the street so he could take me home.

'Yugyeom, I can walk. I'm fine,' I laugh. I start to get off the board but he stops me.

'No, jee. I can push you. You're not walking.' And so he pushed me for three blocks to my house where he helped my mom bandage me up.

Everything was fine after that. He went home and my mom told me to go shower since I was all gross from skating that day. It was already like 9 pm. I got the shower ready and got undressed. I reached for my locket to unclasp it but nothing was there. I panicked, naturally, and looked everywhere around my house. My mom helped me look around the house for it but it was just gone. I ran up to my room crying and called up Yugy. I explained what had happened to him but he just hung up right after. I thought he was mad at me for losing such a meaningful gift so I started crying even more.

My mom came in my room after about 10 minutes. She had the most worried look on her face. 'Sungjee, don't be scared but yugyeom's mom just called me.' She took a pause and I felt my heart drop. 'He's missing. His mom went up to his room but he wasn't there. The police are on it right now. I'm sorry.'

I was in complete shock. I couldn't move even if my mom was comforting me as best as she could. The thought of losing my best friend was too much for me, even back then.
The door bell rang 15 minutes later. My dad took care of opening the door and soon a beaming Yugyeom came bursting into my room.

'I found it Jee! I found it!' He came in for a hug but I didn't know how I felt.

I pushed him away and slapped his arm really hard. 'Ah! You scared me!' Then I got up and hugged him really hard. He laughed and hugged me back.

'Why would I scare you?' He released the hug.

'You're reported missing since you just left your house without telling anyone.' I said as he handed me back my necklace.

'I just wanted to find your locket for you. I had a feeling I knew where it was so I went looking for it. And I found it so everybody wins!' He threw his hands up in the air.

'Not everyone dummy! Your mom was worried sick! You didn't even bother to tell her!' I screamed. My mom already went downstairs to call his mom. 'No doubt you're gonna be grounded.'

We both laugh and he looks down while scratching the back of his neck. 'It's so worth it though.'
~~~~~~~~~~~
Yep, he got grounded. He couldn't leave his room for two weeks which means no weekly sleepovers and no hanging out with me. He tried secretly calling me but his mom cut in on the phone downstairs and he only got into even more trouble.

Only a week passed and I already missed him so much. My days felt so lonely. I couldn't even dance well without him with me.

I told my mom I was going to the park when in reality I was going to go see yugyeom. He couldn't come see me but who said I couldn't go see him? Hehe loopholes.

I snuck into the garage and took my dad's ladder and carried it..well dragged it all the way to Yugyeom's house. I stopped by the corner store along the way and bought candy, including gummy bears, ice cream and whipped cream to go on top. I wanted to surprise him.

I threw a couple of pebbles at his window before he opened it. 'What are you doing here? I'm grounded remember?'

I put the ladder against his window and climbed all the way up to him. 'I know but I was bored without you. Plus I couldn't leave you alone after what you've done for me. I really appreciate it by the way.' He leaned against his window sill so we were face to face. 'And I don't know how to repay you.'

He giggled and rested his face on his hand. 'You don't have to. I know how much that locket means to you...to us.'

And with that, I leaned in and kissed him for the second time. And it was just like the first. Perfect. I don't know what came over me. It just felt right. He didn't react at first, probably out of shock. But soon enough he returned the kiss.

We pulled apart and he started blushing like crazy. 'What was that for? We've only done that once and it was just to try it out.'

I laughed, 'just to say thanks. I don't know, it seemed like the right thing to do.'

'Well you're welcome.' He took the bag of food out of my hand and helped me up into his room. I just realized I was still standing on the ladder.

We sat on his floor for the next hour just feeding each other the food and seeing who can catch the most candy their mouth. Soon enough we were having a whipped cream fight. We were so loud I'm surprised his mom didn't come up into his room. Although looking back at it now, something tells me she knew I was up there.

I was only allowed out for an hour and a half so I had to start heading home. I crawled out the window and took a step to start climbing down but then yugyeom grabbed my hand. I took a step back up and asked 'what?'

Without a word he leaned in a kissed my cheek. 'I know we're only ten right now but one day when we're older I'm going to make you my girlfriend. That's a promise.'

I hold my cheek that he just kissed with my free hand and tell him, 'Well when will that be?'

'As soon as you're able to start dating.' He intertwines his fingers with mine.

'My dad says I can't date until I'm married.' We both laugh at the irony.

'We'll see about that.' "