31| Weaslove

"It's not what you think," I said, backing away. "I can explain."

Fred looked puzzled. "What are you talking about?"

I stared at him, equally as confused. "What are you talking about?"

"Before we took off, you wanted to tell me something," Fred said slowly, eyebrows drawn. "Is everything alright?"

I relaxed. "Oh." Oh. "Never mind. It was nothing."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

"Then there's something I have to tell you." Fred reached forward, latching an iron grip onto my arm. He dragged me away from the crowd of people, where we were out of earshot.

"What did you do?" Fred asked me under his breath, fingers still wrapped around my arm.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Fred."

"Don't play games with me. I know what I saw, El." His eyes searched my clearly befuddled face. I was hoping he wouldn't notice the sudden fear in my eyes. He rolled his eyes, letting go of my arm. "It was Lucius Malfoy. We both saw him, remember? You did something to make him leave. You know him. It was really obvious."

"I really don't-"

"Don't hide it from me, Elvira," Fred said softly, eyes flicking to everyone else. He was checking to make sure no one listening. "You made him go away. You said something to him."

I took a step back, flinching. I waited for him to pull out his wand.

"I won't say anything," Fred said, in all seriousness. He pinched his index finger and thumb together, dragging them across his lips to show me they were zipped shut. "I just need to know this. Did you give away our location?"

"No. I did not." I held my ground, telling the truth. "I agree with Harry, though. It was Snape. And yes, I know Lucius. Every Slytherin does, Fred."

He nodded. "Fine. I believe you. Just don't make me regret it, alright?"

"Okay."

He smiled. "Fine. I'm going to check up on George." And then he was gone.

* * *

I couldn't meet Draco. I sat on the bed, alone, in the room I shared with Hermione. The Malfoy's ring lay in the palm of my hand. I traced the silver snake with my index finger.

Ginny stopped in the doorway, arms crossed over her chest.

"I'm onto you," she said.

"That's just great for you," I said, looking up at her with a smile.

"Rude," she said, scowling. "You left me stranded at the Leaky Cauldron and left with Malfoy."

"I've been over this a ton of times," I said with a defeated groan, falling backwards onto the bed. "I can't keep explaining myself."

"Then you shouldn't have been running off with the likes of him."

"Ginny, please! You don't even know him."

"I know him well enough. He ruined a lot of our lives at Hogwarts."

"Well he's not going to be there this year anyways, so get over it."

"What do you mean, he's not going to be there?"

I sat up. "He's a Death Eater, Ginny. He's not going back to Hogwarts. He has more important things to do."