Thirty Seven

~Gerard's POV~

I fidgeted nervously in my seat as I recorded my lesson. It was the last lesson before spring break. It was also when my surgery was set to be.

We had actually raised enough.

I was so excited. My mother was going to be coming, since the doctor was closer to the campus than home. At the same time, I was so terrified. What if something went wrong? What if I somehow got worse?

"And I think that's it!" The teacher said, clapping her hands together and pulling me from my worries temporarily. "Think I'll let you go enjoy your break."

"Bless your soul, Miss Gunn!" The voice of a student I knew as Max cheered.

"My soul appreciates your blessing, Max." She laughed, "Now all of ya, get out of here!"

I slid my hand along my desk until I found my phone, clicking the small round button at the bottom to stop the recording. I grabbed it up in my hand and began to stand.

"Cane." Mikey said simply, tapping my arm with the skinny object.

"Cane." I sighed, bringing my hand up to grab it. He helped me extend it before helping me out of the classroom and down the hall.

"So, you ready?" Mikey asked as we walked down the hall.

"For what? A surgery on one of the most sensitive areas of a person's body? Not at all!"

"Gerard..."

I sighed. "I'm fucking scared, Mikey, what do you expect? I haven't been to anything that serious since I first lost my sight..."

"I remember..." Mikey trailed off. He was quiet for a moment before speaking up again. "Barely, but I remember being confused because mom came into the waiting room crying..."

I was quiet now. I never knew that... No one had told me much about the reactions to my condition. My mom never cried around me... At least that I could see...

"How bad do you think she'll be if this doesn't work?" I asked quietly.

"Guess we'll just never know." Mikey replied nonchalantly, "Because it's going to work, big brother."

I laughed, letting a small smile tug at my lips. "Thanks, little brother..."

"Just don't sweat it." Mikey assured me, patting my back. "You'll be fine..."

---

"I missed you too, mama!" I laughed as she squeezed me into a tight hug. I could hear Frank, Mikey, and laughing off to the side as well.

"I haven't seen you in months!" My mom said, continuing to hold me tightly. "I've missed you so much!"

"How sweet." Frank said with a grin in his tone.

"Don't think you're getting out of this either, Frank! You're next!"

"Aw, mama Way, please!" Frank laughed.

"All four of my boys in one place!" My mom cheered, releasing me and pushing some hair behind my ear. "It makes me so happy..."

"We dem boys!"

"Shut up, Pete."

"Now, children, no fighting." I teased as my mom left where she stood in front of me. I heard the chorus of laughter fill the room again, making my nerves ease. It was nice to have laughter surrounding me.

Footsteps made their way over to me before I felt the light touch I knew as Frank's sliding down my arm. His lips pressed softly against my cheek before his head leaned against my arm.