Talking.

××
Somehow, I ended up in Canary's office seven hours later, with barely a wink of sleep.

'I'd like to thank you for helping earlier. Superman arrived worse for wear, but alive. The Joker walked out the gates unarmed, and surrendered.'

I stared at the hero, barely able to keep my eyes open, much less think of a reply.

'Anyways, all in all, I'm grateful you decided to do the right thing and not lead us into a trap.'

I sighed placing my head in my hands. 'Well maybe I shouldn't have done the right thing, once The Light finds out what I did. . .'

'Once Vandal. . .' I rubbed my eyes, tired. 'I'm not going to be able to sweet-talk him. I've been told that that I am only able to talk to psychopaths. Structured dialogue and the essence of conversation are lost to me.'

I yawned, pressing my hand against my mouth. 'I'll just have to deal with whatever he or Luthor will cook up, and hope Klarion doesn't give them any ideas, but considering my luck, I doubt that.'

××

Batman's eyes narrowed Into slits from the viewing room stationed above Black Canary's office. The heroine wanted him out of sight where he couldn't interfere.

But by the way she looked, he doubted that the assassin would notice him even if he was standing next to her.

'Well,' Canary cleared her throat, not knowing what to say to that.
She had never considered the fact that Shadow had to deal with consequences. In a sense, though Shadow had offered to help, they had acted selfishly.

'You shouldn't feel bad, I wanted to help, you didn't force me or anything.' Shadow said reassuringly.

Yes, it's not like I got you to trust me. Dinah thought to herself.

'Really.' The assassin pressed.

The hero nodded, speaking softly.
'Okay.'

It was then that Shadow closed her eyes and leaned into the couch.

'Picking up from where we left off, I'd like to ask you a question.' The counsellor started.

'That's fine.'

'Alright then, what makes you happy?' She asked.

Shadow shrugged. 'I don't know.'

'Really?' Canary blinked in surprise.

'Yes.' Shadow answered nonchalantly.

'Nothing comes to mind, nothing at all.' The trainer tried again.

'No." Shadow replied, shaking her head. 'Is that a bad thing?'

'Well, you have to start from somewhere, so why not the bottom?' Dinah said, with a kind smile.

'What do you, um, dislike?' The hero asked again.

'I don't know.' Shadow repeated.

Canary sighed, really wishing she had some coffee.

'I just haven't thought about it, but I guess I can make a list. . . if you want.'

'That's fine, take your time.' Canary told her rubbing her temple.

'I don't like being thought of as nothing but a weapon.' The assassin started off quietly.

Canary froze.

'I don't like talking to people and I do not enjoy killing people either.'

'Is there anything else?' Black Canary asked, her mouth suddenly dry.